ransoms

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I love them - has to be my favourite flower / forage ..... however unfortunately it doesn't grow naturally in my local woodlands.

so.....

has anyone successfully planted some and if so anything I need to bear in mind? soil type, location etc...

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Come for a walk at mine Graham - woods will be carpeted with the shortly - literally hundred yard swathes of em. They were mentioned about three weeks back on gardeners question time as something where the bulbs are available - and spread rapidly!

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hi g4ghb we planted a clump in a rockery once and a couple of years later it was every where and became a right pest so much so that we dug it all up and now have it planted in pots like mint which is also invasive. When you see it out established in the wild it carpets the place
cheers Danny

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Come for a walk at mine Graham - woods will be carpeted with the shortly - literally hundred yard swathes of em. They were mentioned about three weeks back on gardeners question time as something where the bulbs are available - and spread rapidly!

Would be a LONG walk to you mate! :lmao:

Would be nice to meet up again though ;)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Hi g4ghb we planted a clump in a rockery once and a couple of years later it was every where and became a right pest so much so that we dug it all up and now have it planted in pots like mint which is also invasive. When you see it out established in the wild it carpets the place
cheers Danny

thats the idea
ashamed053611282jy0.gif
- it will be in the woods and can run riot :D

did potting stop the spread for you as I presumed the seeds help the spread as much as the bulbs....

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
we've got a patch near ours, i was looking at transplanting some bulbs to some growers in my garden.
bulbs should be easy to come by at the end of the season about september time, at the moment tho as soon as they're dug up they need replanting, if someone could overnight you 4-5 bulbs you may get away with it.

we've got a patch near ours, i was looking at transplanting some bulbs to some growers in my garden.
bulbs should be easy to come by at the end of the season about september time, at the moment tho as soon as they're dug up they need replanting, if someone could overnight you 4-5 bulbs you may get away with it.

remember transplanding is uprooting and illegal for any plants with out land owners permission ;)

you sould be oks foraging seeds later in the year tho

ATB

Duncan

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
remember transplanding is uprooting and illegal for any plants with out land owners permission ;)

ATB

Duncan

Aye, unless of course the council do it for you ;)
the area they're in is about to be dug over and seeded with grass (next door neighbours son in law is a gardner with council) so i'll have them dig em out for me, otherwise they go in the bin and thats a horrid waste IMO.
shame really as they're the only patch in the area i know of.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire

good point! - luckily where I would plan in getting bulbs I have permission :D

so could I transplant them now then? - I would have expected it better to leave it till the autumn.....

I will definitely aim to get harvest some seeds later in the year though ;)

good point! - luckily where I would plan in getting bulbs I have permission :D

so could I transplant them now then? - I would have expected it better to leave it till the autumn.....

I will definitely aim to get harvest some seeds later in the year though ;)

try it i dug up plants when i got mine but i did take a fair bit of dirt ie a shovel full in a bucket etc so they might not have noticed keep em wet and replant watter ASAP

snow drops etc have to be moved green i believe maybe these do to

ATB

Duncan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The bulbs are good eating too when the plants become too invasive.
You can dry the seeds and use them like onion seeds in nan and the like as well.
I like them, and I have them in my garden. They thrive in slight shade, cool and dampish soil. My heavy clay garden is a bit hard going for them.
If the seeds get between paving stones the seedlings become a real pain to remove. I dead head the ones in the garden.

cheers,
Toddy

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
aye, thats what i'm planning to pickle! pickled ramson heads YUM! oh and maybe even battered and deep fried, see how that turns out :D

as far as bulbs go, yeah they can be dug up whenever but during the growing season get em back in soil immediately.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
excellent! - I shall be transplanting in the near future :D

Thanks y'all

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This thread minded me that I picked a half jar of the fruits last year and covered them in olive oil. The stuff is glorious to cook with or if you like mildly garlicky salads or breads :D :D

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE