Rabbit Recipes?

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Hey all! I have recently been given a couple of rabbits. I've eaten rabbit before and really enjoyed it. (think it was in a curry?) anyhoo.... just wondered if any of you had a nice recipes as i have never actually prepared it myself.

Thanks for your help.:D

Dan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Good one. I normally cook mine jointed with some wine and gravy, a couple of roughly chopped onions and maybe a few chillies just to pep it up a bit! Once the gravy thickens up a bit, and the onions have gone soft, I drain that off and serve with either boiled or roast tatties and veg, with the gravy on top. Simple and tasty, although I wouldn't mind a few other recipes to try!

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
nice one spam. i was planning on just making a stew to begin with but thought i'd look here first for a bit of inspiration!

Dan

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Stew is good. My favourite is roasted though; lots of butter and cover it in bacon, wrap in foil, then roast for ages. (One rabbit does dinner for me and SWMBO twice; roast rabbit night one, eat, use leftovers in a curry night 2.)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I often find that rabbit meat disintegrates into spahetti in a stew, but if coooked otherwise its dry and chewy.
If you can find any Greek recipes with shallots, olives, red wine etc - those are really nice.

HTH

Ogri the trog

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Stew is good. My favourite is roasted though; lots of butter and cover it in bacon, wrap in foil, then roast for ages. (One rabbit does dinner for me and SWMBO twice; roast rabbit night one, eat, use leftovers in a curry night 2.)

Spot on Matt, there is no fat to speak of with bunny so you need to add some for flavor as in the butter and bacon. Any very lean meat needs fat to be honest or you just chew protein with little flavor and longterm , not much goodness for the body

Fillet steak without sauce, no thanks, Rib Beef,,,,,,,,,,,,, yummy

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Marinade with cider and honey for 24hrs then roast,

Serve with carrots and potato and a very light gravy

Yumy Yumy

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Without doubt the best recipe I have ever encountered can be found in good ole HFW's MEAT book. For reference it is the one that involves Cider, Mustard and Cream. I have cooked it on a couple of occasions at meets for groups of 10 plus and I have NEVER seen any leftovers. My tip is to reheat the meat in the sauce for 20 mins dropping in some herb dumplings at the start ;)

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Without doubt the best recipe I have ever encountered can be found in good ole HFW's MEAT book. For reference it is the one that involves Cider, Mustard and Cream. I have cooked it on a couple of occasions at meets for groups of 10 plus and I have NEVER seen any leftovers. My tip is to reheat the meat in the sauce for 20 mins dropping in some herb dumplings at the start ;)

I can second that having sampled this fine dish at the Bucks meet.
Incidently I have currently got a number of containers storing this in my freezer after Mrs (soon to be) Bootstrap and I made a huge stew a few weeks back :)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Cut all the meat off into chunks, fry some onion, mushroom bacon and garlic, and pack into a casserole dish with the meat. Season, add some mixed herbs, stock, and the best part of a bottle of wine, or a pint of strong ale/stout. Cover and cook in the oven/on the hob for at least an hour - 2 or more if in the oven.

I use this as a base for almost any meat and just change the flavours - for venison add juniper, for lamb add rosemary or mint, game birds/rabbit - add redcurrant/cranberry jelly.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I like the sound of silverback's recipe with cream and mustard. For me its a not very tasty potentially dry meat but generally pretty tender so treat it as chicken breast and you wont go wrong. Rabbit curry is a fave, known as Bunny Buhna when we get it.

I cheat on the preperation as 80% of the meat can be had for 20% of the effort, good for when you have lots. Open the skin up the back, remove the big fillet either side of the spine, this is the saddle and is the best most tender meat. Skin and cut off the back legs and de-bone them. Dice the meat up and cook as everyone esle has said with plenty of liquid/yogurt/wine or whatever to keep it moist and give it flavour.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
cheers for all the tips guys! Roasted one of the little devils last nite with bacon and butter and it was delicious! mmmmmm....... i also skinned and gutted it myself with great success!:D i'd only ever gutted fish before but this was just as simple!

Dan

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
It is usually strong flavoured meat, does well in stews and curries, long slow cooking, IMO. Don't like it anything like as much just grilled, fried or roasted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE