Quotes to live by

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
a quote by Groucho Marx particulary applicable to politicians i think ''These are my principles, if you don't like them i have others''

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.”

G.K. Chesterton

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Here's an old army quotation from one of their many sages, "you are always in the sh1t, it's just the depth that varies"

you married men here I am sure this rings a bell too!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Although I had lost my rifle and all my plunder, I felt quite rich when I found my knife, flint and steel in my shot pouch. These little fixin’s make a man feel right peart when he is three or four hundred miles from anybody or any place.’

Hugh Glass

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
“Il faut vivre comme on pense, sans quoi l'on finira par penser comme on a vécu.”

“You have to live the way you think, otherwise you'll end up thinking the way you lived.”

Paul Bourget

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...And there had been a night, a terrible night in the winter of 1937 when Smiley had stood at his window and watched a great bonfire in the university court: round it stood hundreds of students, their faces exultant and glistening in the dancing light. And into the pagan fire they threw books in their hundreds. He knew whose books they were: Thomas Mann, Heine, Lessing and a host of others. And Smiley, his damp hand cupped round the end of his cigarette, watching and hating, triumphed that he knew his enemy..."

John le Carré

(Call for the Dead)

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
from a very kind old man i knew who helped me when i needed it.

'' Knowledge to an old man is like a comb to a bald head, useless if kept to oneself ''

ashby001

Forager
May 24, 2013
Faversham
Well there are a few I live by and always like looking for more and found a few that I like

Teachers open the door... You enter by yourself - Chinese Proverb

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime - Chinese proverb - Learnt this one in Geography believe it or not

It takes a wise man to learn from his mistakes, but an even wiser man to learn from others - Zen Proverb

Although gold dust is precious, when it gets in your eyes, it obstructs your vision - Buddha - This one I really like

Seem to remember another Roosevelt one
Don’t hit at all if you can help it; don’t hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Something I heard or read just the other day, I don't know where.

'For every breath you take someone takes there last'

When you think about that lots of things are not that important anymore.

ashby001

Forager
May 24, 2013
Faversham
That's in a similar vein to what a martial arts teacher told me...
Rule 1. Don't get hit.
Rule 2. If you are going to get hit, hit him before he hits you.

You saying martial arts reminds me of another.

To be the best martial artist you need to follow two simple rules:
1. Never tell anyone everything you know

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE