Quite wisky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Sort of hand craft related. In the kitchen but simplifying as I have given up the electric whIsk in favour of a fork or a very basic hand whisk. Makes better omelettes and batter so must consider for pancakes et al in the open. I think it was Jack Cox in his books on camping that admired the French crepes produced by their scouts and suggests it as the basis for an outdoor cuisine.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Agreed = forks don't splash or spray. Get busy and carve yourself a few wooden forks.
Chefs stir with forks when the TV isn't looking.
You won't regret it. Just 7/8" or so wooden cylinders (14" branches?) with 3 x 2" tines at one end.
Three is much easier to clean than four so just whittle one tine off. I broke my first one (birch) so tidyied it up and kept it for myself.
The handle end is good for stirring stiff dough (pasta, pizza and cookies).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the balloon whisks. I have tiny little ones too, and they all get used.
I think they're better than forks, but bilmo's flat whisk looks interesting. I'm tempted to try it :D

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have a 600W Braun "stick blender."
Variable speed and a very effective whisk attachment.
Zabaglione in minutes.
Make 4-6 liters of split pea soup, ham/bacon bits, cooked carrot.
The Braun can pure' that pot in 30 seconds.

If you want to stir rice or pasta or soup or stew on the stove, use a BIG hand-carved wooden fork = no mess.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh I have one of those stick blenders too, and it's an excellent tool :D much easier than the hassle of using a Mouli :) Soup, banana milk shakes and the like are quick and easy with it.

I use the balloon whisk for beating up batter, making sauces, for rubbing in for flaky pastry, etc.. It's ideal for baking.
Rice and pasta I use a slotted spoon.

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Have a stick blender. Very useful.

I like those s/s whisks with a spirale making a 'g' ( unable to explain better) as the baloon whisk can not be taken apart and cleaned properly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE