quik question..

Oct 18, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire, UK
Well, I'm a newbie here, but Ray Mears Essential Survival and Bushcraft Survival seem like good bets! And I suppose some of those survival books by various companies would surfice.
I'd wait for some of the more experienced guys to reply though!

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi bonkers200

If you want to survive I would recommend the SAS Survival Handbook by John Lofty Wiseman. You can get it in Collins Gem format which is fairly small and light or the normal A5 format, I've also got it as a watrproofed flip card format but I'm not sure it they still produce it like this. Having said about the book though I would recommend practicing the skills first before you actually need to use them to live, I found that I learnt far more on a course I did than actually reading books.

Enjoy,

Brian

Oct 21, 2005
blackburn,england
well thats the problem ive been reading that book since i was 6 (not litraly) the only problem i find is that it doesent have alot in about english wild foods etc but its a great book (my favorite :) but i was just wondering if theres anything else worth reading on the market

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
If I were to carry one book, it would be an edible plant ID book. The rest of the stuff you should learn now and carry in your head. :)

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Hoodoo said:
If I were to carry one book, it would be an edible plant ID book. The rest of the stuff you should learn now and carry in your head. :)

That's a good idea. Even if you can't find any decent plants you can eat the book! :lmao:

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hi :)
ray mears essential bushcraft is good, it does exactly what it says on the tin, so to speak, and it's a good size to fit in your pack. :)
The next book i want to get, is again by ray mears,called "oudoor survival handbook", i havent got it yet but i think it's more oriented to our climate, flora and fauna, so that you can learn various survival and bushcraft techniques appropriate to the uk, i think it might even be laid out to account for the change in the seasons, anyone else confirm this? If it is what i think it is then it might be what you're after aswell.
hope this helps

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Depending on how far you're venturing Scott Dobson's Larn Yersel Geordie might come in handy ...

Kane

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE