Quiet inflatable insulated mat for comfort?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone know a good, inflatable mat suitable for early spring to late autumn in the UK at most. Need comfort but due shared shelter the mat needs to quiet. No crispy, crisp packet...

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Have a look-see on the Alpkit website.https://alpkit.com
Their original ‘fat airic’ was reasonable but in the end all six that I owned failed. Meh!
I have one on my work bed with hole as an extra bit of comfort and I have another used for ‘softenings’ under my roof ladder. So I won’t be buying that type again. For the sake of a slightly better outer material these were so nearly a go-to sleeping mat!

I had an Exped down mat but that failed after one year and not that much use. Never again!!!
A very, expensive fail IMO so I’m certainly not going to recommend one of these.

I took a 1970’s original Li-lo around Oz in the 1990’s. Ok I had to blow it up every night for a years travelling but I always had a good nights sleep and it never failed!
The ‘marketing’ boys are in on the outdoor sleeping market so spend your money carefully.
Funnily enough the best ‘go-to’ is a Dutch army foam-rubber mat. No f’ing air to leak out!
S

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I've found the Trekology UL80 to be comfortable and quiet. Affordable too (I imagine the price fluctuates though) but not the best insulator.

My Exped Synmat Winter UL LW was very noisy for the first couple of nights, but has settled down completely. It was like the material was discovering it was what it was and was crackling and creaking once fully inflated!

I hope it lasts longer than yours @swyn because they are indeed not cheap!

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
Klymit Static V insulated, I have had mine for a few years now, it is pretty quite, robust, comfortable and warm enough for the seasons you mention.

Murf

Feb 18, 2022
Lancs
Yep, the Trekology UL80 is my go to if I know the ground conditions aren't going to be too punishing. I also spend a good time on my hands and knees going over the foot print for anything that could puncture it before I put down a folded over ground sheet for it. It's like anything I suppose; you look out for it and it will look our for you.

Attachments

• 20220718_090046.jpg
    20220718_090046.jpg
    955.4 KB · Views: 5

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE