quick question - Is Clover Edible?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yes - cows eat it all the time!
Also edible by humans.
"Wild Food" by Roger Philips Pan Books 1983 has recipes for clover salad and clover wine.
Butch blokes beware - clover (it seems) is full of Estrogen (sp?) and is used in herbal preparations for "ladies problems" and the Men!Oh?Pause! (sp?)
I find red clover tea makes me dizzy....
John

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have drunk red clover tea to increase milk flow. It tastes very simerlar to alot of flower teas, but I would consume it moderation if you are male:nutkick: or under the age 12 of either gender.

Soya and sage also contain phyto-oestrogens.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Absolutely.

It's lovely on toast :rolleyes:

port_bg_clover.jpg

Sorry...I'll see myself out. ;)

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
im sure theres not a lot of calorie value but i am pleased to be able to add this to my foragers shopping list.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I seem to recall from my childhood that you can suck a reasonable amount of nectar out of clover flowers...

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Absolutely.

It's lovely on toast :rolleyes:

port_bg_clover.jpg

...I'll see myself out. ;)
:lmao: :lmao:

I have drunk red clover tea to increase milk flow.
:eek: :eek: :umbrella: did it work? .....any side effects we should know about?

I have been collecting the stuff by the sackful to feed to my mares with foals.White clover is prefered as an equine/bovine food....I dont know why.

xylaria

:lmao: :lmao:

:eek: :eek: :umbrella: did it work? .....any side effects we should know about?

I have been collecting the stuff by the sackful to feed to my mares with foals.White clover is prefered as an equine/bovine food....I dont know why.

I didn't get any side effects like getting milk bound. Things did improve while taking it but there is no way I can say it was clover or working out that health care professionals in salford know diddly-squat about what normal breastfeeding is. I certainly had no dizzyness. I drank it for about a week, until childs feeding pattern changed to something more bearable.

Dont get clovers trifolium spp confused with sweet clovers melilotus spp as these taint milk and put the foal off feeding.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE