Quick question about 'billys'

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I've been overwhelmingly impressed by the knowledge of you fellas on this site goodjob, and in my frenzy of soaking up all the knowledge like a sponge in the hope of creating a small 'hobo' type stove, I could do with a little info about the billys.

I've read through most of the exhausted pro's and cons of Zebra vs Tatonka billys, but I'm interested (for design purposes) of finding the true overall diamater of the 12 cm versions of both (including bale holders). The reason being is that I'm currently hoping I can modify a Wilko S/Steel biscuit tin ( with a 13.47 mm internal diameter) to fit everything in. I've seen some dimensions for the larger Tatonka billys/pots on the Sailgb website, but that's about all!

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
for a billy you can also use a tea/coffee tin from a £store or 99p shop, thats how i did my first one. only thing bad about them it has a half sphere top, so can be replaced with a homemade steel top
will try and get some pics to show

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If you do a search, you should find loads of threads from people who have done exactly what you are doing. Should be alot of useful help out there somewhere.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
The 12cm Zebra will be a tight fit if it goes in at all. I measure mine at 13.5 OD. I have replaced the bale arm with wire though so one will be wider still with the bale arm on.

HTH,
Stuart

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Thanks for the rapid responses Guys. i've had a look through the posts you receommended JohnathanD, very useful indeed. I never thought of searching for 'wilkinsons' or 'biscuits'.

New question: Do they still make Bulldog Billys? (Assuming Bulldog as a brand is still operating) If so, does anyone know of a source? I've just done a quick web search, but with no positive results so far. Plenty of cheaper nesting sets on the 'bay and amazon, but mainly aluminium.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE