Quick Hammock

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Always looking to lighten the load so decided to make myself a hammock for a forthcoming backpacking trip to Norway. My Warbonnet blackbird weighs almost 800g. This one is 330g with suspension (whoopies, soft shackles and straps) which will almost offset the weight differential compared to ground dwelling (carrying an under quilt)

Measured out 3.5m of pertex

Rolled hem all the way round with a zig zag stich which is better for stretch so i read (long sides first)

Gather ends, add a bread tie and whip its butt

Job done, an hour of my time and about £12 in pertex

Found this video very useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6Mt1piDSgA

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
That looks neat.

I've made a quick one in the past.

Skirt lining material for the body and webbing for the hanging straps. Twice the length final length plus a bit for the material.

Double it lengthways

Take your webbing, lay about 20cm on the hammock end. Now tie a simple overhand knot in the hammock material, keeping the webbing in place so it ends up incorporated in the knot. Pull the knot very tight - you can whip a bit of cord around the bitter end of the webbing (where it pokes out of the knot) and around the hammock if you want to be ultra-secure.

Ditto at the other end of the hammock.

You now have a hammock made of two layers of material. Insulation can be slid between the layers (I've used laminate underlay).

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Good stuff, been thinking of making something similar, sold all my hanging kit a while ago but been thinking of making an UL setup. Looking forward to hearing how the first test goes

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice one!

I was thinking of doing something similar. Came across some Pertex 4 at £3.62 per meter, in a fetching royal blue though...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm declaring shenanigans, the one you made was green, the one you're laid in is brown.

You can't kid a kidder, now get in the DIY jobby :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE