Quick axe question.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I have an axe head in the workshop which could do with becoming a complete axe over this and tomorrow evening. All I have in stock is some Iroko which I'ld like to keep for something else and some Horse Chestnut. So, the question is; is Horse Chestnut any good for a hand axe haft?

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Thanks for the advice fellas. As it was I failed. I had some green Ash about so tried the microwave drying suggested by Mr Wood some time ago. Seemed to work fine but I didn't finish the handle in time.

If only the pick axe handle plan had occurred to me last Saturday when I was in the gardening bit of a local department store. Good scheme, I may well try that soon.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Thanks for the advice fellas. As it was I failed. I had some green Ash about so tried the microwave drying suggested by Mr Wood some time ago. Seemed to work fine but I didn't finish the handle in time.

If only the pick axe handle plan had occurred to me last Saturday when I was in the gardening bit of a local department store. Good scheme, I may well try that soon.

It must either be a small axe handle or you have a large microwave.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
As I think the best axe handle wood in Europe is hornbeam(Carpinus betulus),only wood seriously(also some were made of ash or beech) used In Croatia until hickory came.And superb firewood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE