question on water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardyal

Jun 11, 2015
Cheshire
I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking, but my girlfriend and I are planning on going on a long hike (I think she's trying to see my side of the whole 'bushcraft' thing) for about a week, with some smaller practice runs. The only real problem I can see is water. We plan on walking along the canal, and I'm not so keen on the idea of giving canal water a try with purifying etc. and there aren't many water sources to use along the way.

Any ideas? Because ofc we'll need water for a lot of things, and I don't want to have to turn back after a day to fill up on water again... I might be being silly with this but right now I can't see a feasible solution.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Have you looked at the Nicholsons waterways guides? They will tell you where the pubs and marinas are where you can refill.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I think you need to check your route again, shops, pubs, houses, farms all have water on tap. Failing that use a good filter with a activated carbon filter as well, then bung in the right amount of Chlorine Dioxide tablets for good measure. Even grubby old Canal water will be ok then. This is the way a lot of municipal water suppliers treat the water.

Collect rain if you want to go bush-crafty? Failing all else stash some bottled water along the route, hide it somehow but remember the locations!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just how much water, per 24hrs, do you expect to need? How much water do you use now?
Ever measured that, every 24 for 2 weeks? Might be a useful experiment, tedious at best but illuminating.

Beardyal

Jun 11, 2015
Cheshire
Yeah, it was a silly question haha, great pointers. For some reason I just expected not to find any taps, we've walked a couple of sections of canal in the past and not come across any. I suppose if we carry some water treatment as back up, mark our water taps along the route and measure how much we would need each day to get an idea for containers etc, that would be pretty safe.

With measuring how much water, I think I'd probably scare myself with how little I do drink.

I'm pretty new to planning this stuff for myself, and now I find myself forgetting all the things I was taught as a kid.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I get by on about 2 litres during an overnight camp but 3 would be better. During a days hike I'm like a horse and probably drink about 4 litres in the UK more in warmer places! I sweat it out though. My hiking buddy drinks half what I do but doesn't sweat!
I recently did the Ridgeway, you know that really famous 90 mile hike that is thousands of years old, a jewel in the British crown of Ancient walks. For such a famous trail there was scant water to be had on route, two of the marked taps was turned OFF! Several publicans were Not friendly at all when we did wander off track to seek liquid refreshment??
Put me quite off walking in Britain, miserable locals with miserable weather with miserable farmers/landowners and even worse amenities!

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
My experience of a canal holiday is it can be a bit of a pub crawl, so plenty of stops. But it depends on the canal. From what I understand as the canal often has run off from agriculture you will need the activated carbon on top of boiling/chlorine to get rid of the chemicals.
Also I spoke to a prepper a while back who plans to use the canals as routes, he told me he got the key that canal boats use to collect water. I gave it a quick google this morning and believe this is the one.
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjo...es-for-boats/water-points-and-sewage-disposal

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Thats the key, well worth getting.

*some* boaters have been known to empty elsan toilets into the canal so you should regard it as not drinkable, even with a filter

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Having done some volunteer work with local canal groups (admittedly in urban areas), using grappling hooks to clear stretches of canal, there is no way I'd consider drinking water from one! In addition to the stuff which people can't be @rsed to take to the tip or lob in for fun, it seems that when there is not a handy tree to hang their pooch's poop from, some dog walkers just bag it and lob it in the canal!

As others have said, canals tend to have plenty of pubs and villages with small shops on them and I'm sure any passing narrowboat user will be happy to fill your water bottle for you.

Its definitely worth keeping an eye on the Canal & River Trust website for notices of towpath closures. I do a fair bit of cycling around the canals in the West Midlands and there is a lot of work being done to upgrade the towpaths to tarmac (not sure if that represents progress or not) and several times recently, I have had to make lengthy detours along busy roads or rather perilous narrow and uneven paths on the opposite bank.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I'm not sure what the problem with treating the water is here? We all drink tapwater that has been through people and animals digestive tracts, has been part of sewerage and been stagnant, has chemical runoff and been generally filthy.

Using a good filter then activated Charcoal then Chlorine will get you tap water standard water no matter the source.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I'm not sure what the problem with treating the water is here? We all drink tapwater that has been through people and animals digestive tracts, has been part of sewerage and been stagnant, has chemical runoff and been generally filthy.

Using a good filter then activated Charcoal then Chlorine will get you tap water standard water no matter the source.

From the original post, the OP appears to be planning to introduce his GF to the great British outdoors by means of what should be a pleasant bimble along some of our inland waterways not creating a survival scenario and the prospect of drinking icky water when there is unlikely to be any need to do so, seems a surefire way to put her off.

Yes, I've got a millbank bag, a filter and various chemicals that should let me drink safely from an open sewer but despite being a veteran of many UK long distance footpaths (including the Ridgeway albeit about 30 years ago) and cycle routes, I've never had to resort to taking water from a canal or other standing water other than mountain tarns etc. From what I've seen dragged up from the bottom of a canal, if push came to shove, I'd choose a muddy puddle over a canal!

I get by on about 2 litres during an overnight camp but 3 would be better. During a days hike I'm like a horse and probably drink about 4 litres in the UK more in warmer places! I sweat it out though. My hiking buddy drinks half what I do but doesn't sweat!
I recently did the Ridgeway, you know that really famous 90 mile hike that is thousands of years old, a jewel in the British crown of Ancient walks. For such a famous trail there was scant water to be had on route, two of the marked taps was turned OFF! Several publicans were Not friendly at all when we did wander off track to seek liquid refreshment??
Put me quite off walking in Britain, miserable locals with miserable weather with miserable farmers/landowners and even worse amenities!

Seriously?

Hopefully the OP's GF is not reading this thread but if she is, I can assure her that if your attitude is right, you will find the vast majority of the folk in rural areas friendly and helpful and I can't imagine many people refusing to fill up a water bottle for someone obviously out backpacking. I have a cheap folding plastic 5 litre water carrier which takes up no space, ways < 70g empty and is perfect for filling up before you pitch camp.

As for pubs, offer to leave your muddy boots at the door, remember that these guys have a living to make so buy a drink before asking for a water bottle refill and don't tuck into your own grub inside or in the beer garden - not hard rules to follow and I've never hard a problem with pub landlords despite sometimes turning up as if straight from a bog snorkelling contest.

By way of example of rural hospitality, at the back end of last year, I was walking the Beacons Way a 90 odd mile route across the Brecons and asked an elderly couple where the bus stop was in their village. They had a brief argument about what time the next bus was and because they weren't sure whether I had missed the last one (I hadn't), they insisted that I come back to their house to get the car and then drove me 8 miles to the next town to get the train!

As they say "smile and the world smiles with you!" :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Sorry to side track the OP's question further but....

Yes the miserable locals, not all but the majority were unpleasant on that trip. One landlord near Gouring on a Thames was down right rude and in other circumstances things could have turned nasty! Mine and my friends attitude as always was do to others as we would like done to us. We both were seriously put off by this experience (I do hope it was not because of my friends ethnicity?) having completed the year before 1000km of the Camino De Santiago through France and Spain with nothing like this miserable attitude! The locals in the main fell over themselves with their hospitality a complete 180 from the UK trip and a smashing time had that will be a life long memory!!

Oh and also free water was available every 10-20 Km's of the way!

As for the OP I though he wanted to introduce his girl to Bushcrafting? Thought procuring water and treating it was top of the list of Bushcraft activities? Saying a particular water source is no good even after treating is false information. All water is in a cycle and gets drunk and expelled and treated.

Yes the OP stated he wasn't keen on using Canal water but if that's his only option and thinks it's dangerous due to hearsay then giving good information can only be a good thing? Yes I have drunk out of puddles, rivers, lakes and Canals. Also have eaten lots of Crayfish from Canals too. Observe good treatment practice and all will be good.

I will butt out now having given several suggestions for the OP.

Last edited:

Beardyal

Jun 11, 2015
Cheshire
Thanks for all the info! I've been around canals a lot, and always thought I needed some paperwork to get one of those keys, what an amazing idea, I'll have to get one.
Yeah the idea is to get my GF interested in the outdoors, not that she isn't already, but I've just applied for the Environmental Archaeology and Primitive skills course at Reaseheath, and want to show off -why-

If I was on my own, and I was experienced with water filtration and purification I might be tempted to drink anything but I agree about canal water. It looks more like soup.

So, I we carry a couple of bottles each, possibly our 5 litre fold up container, take a canal key... And well, yeah we'll probably end up in more than a few pubs along the way... Great to have some experienced walkers sharing their views

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
If I was on my own, and I was experienced with water filtration and purification I might be tempted to drink anything but I agree about canal water. It looks more like soup.

Decent water filters are cheap and small so there is no reason not to carry one.

I recently got a Sawyer mini filter which came well recommended (I'm sure there are other equally good/better models out these) but have not had the need to use it in anger yet. Everyone's favourite tax-dodging online dealer has them for £22 but I'm sure I paid a bit less.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sawyer-Products-SP128-Single-Filtration/dp/B00FA2RLX2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454347660&sr=8-1&keywords=sawyer+water+filter

Good luck with your trip and hope the GF is a convert. :)

Beardyal

Jun 11, 2015
Cheshire
Hah! :) I'll look at getting one, this month's budget on fun stuff has just been blown on a new pack, roll and knife :D so maybe next month

And thanks, I think she's halfway there, just needs a firm nudge

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall

To put it politely you are a wimp. I used to walk the Ridgeway when there were no taps along the way. Water is one of the challenges of the route and, oddly, helped to make it worthwhile as a challenge. Amenities and water you carry or go without. Mind you people around it were friendlier before it became a national path. There was also a way of obtaining water in extremis but I won't give the method because of the forum's policy on illegal instructions.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE