Question on Limestone.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 31, 2024
Derby
I was trying to find an answer to my question with no luck on google so I thought I would ask here.
Does limestone repel bugs and insects? say I built a wall out of limestone and used lime/sand or cement mortar, would it keep insects like ants away?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Not even slightly.
Interesting way you phrase that. Are you hoping that you can keep insects away from the wall, or that a wall will keep insects away from something you have surrounded with the wall?
Are you talking about a retaining wall, so soil on one side and open to the air on the other?

In any case you are going to be disappointed. If you fill all the nooks and crannies with mortar there will be fewer places for insects to hide or gain access, but neither the lime in limestone nor in the mortar will generate any kind of insect repelling field.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I was trying to find an answer to my question with no luck on google so I thought I would ask here.
Does limestone repel bugs and insects? say I built a wall out of limestone and used lime/sand or cement mortar, would it keep insects like ants away?

I am curious as to why you would think it would - is it something you've heard or something you've experienced?

I have read there is evidence of ants not crossing a chalk boundary (as in a line drawn with chalk) but I've not seen it.

Edit - just looked it up, it's special chalk called 'Chinese' chalk apparently.

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Deleted - reference link looked dodgy

Chinese chalk contains manufactured pesticides.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Lime vs diatomaceous earth?
Ant powder contains permethrin and talc. Lasts a long time under a stone. Not really the same thing as asked though.

My grandfather in the US described something that would do just what the OP was asking about. A ring of this powder, sprinkled right around the house, kept all crawling insects out, as well as mice. Said it was the only thing like it he ever encountered….fortunately it’s hard to get DDT now!

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Having a house built largely of limestone & a limestone wall running along the front of the garden I can confirm it does not repel anything. There is a lot of it about in these here parts, big chunks in the soil & such but for the critters, it's just rock like any other.
Hopefully, it isn't army ants you're trying to keep out. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: C_Claycomb
Jul 31, 2024
Derby
Thanks for the response, honestly I remember reading something about lime and bugs so i was curious if limestone had any effect at all. Anyways cheers guys, its nice to get answers to question.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE