Question for the basket makers.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've just cleared a minor infestation of Black fly from a small Willow in my garden, so I also took the opportunity to thin it out.
This has left me with a load a load Willow rods ranging from 6mm to 18mm and about 1800mm to 2400 long.

IMG_20170702_131711.jpg IMG_20170702_131717.jpg

Do you think there is enough here to weave something. How long should I dry it for. should I split it?
I'd like to do something with it, rather than throw it away.
Thanks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's very useable :)
However, because it's green, when it dries it will shrink. Now, that's fine so long as you're aware of it when you make something.

What kinds of things do you like though ?
It would make easy wreaths, bird feeders, dreamcatchers and tension trays, just as it is, or it will make good hedgerow type basket (John Fenna has posts up showing them) too.
If you make a basket, mind the shrinking bit, that will slacken the joints, etc., but you can strip some of the bark off and use it to bind the handle joint for stability too.

It's fun to work with is willow :D

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are other things you can do with willow though, from plant climber frames to building the structure to be covered with mud and fired, that makes a clay oven :)
Fishtraps, benders, coracles, hurdles, are all rather satisfying to create :D

M

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My brother made a huge fruit basket from willow wands such as you have.
Very nice. Elegant in the corner of his kitchen.
Then all the leaf buds decided to sprout! I had to hunt for the bananas in the bushes.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
If you want to weave with it, keep it wet or at the very least covered wth a damp sack. Once it dries it will shrink a bit but it also loses some of it's flexibility which wont be regained by soaking later. Split the wands/ rods one at a time as you weave them into something as they will dry quickly while you are working with them.

Cheers, Bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE