Question and Tru-Nord Compasses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've relied on mine many many times. I have most of the models and never had one fail. I've talked to the owner of the company and he's a great guy and a real craftsman. I keep one pinned to my hunting vest. Sometimes I wear one around my neck in a small leather pouch and when I'm backpacking, I often wear the wrist model. Others I keep in minikits or packs. It's a rare occasion that I go into the bush without one somewhere on me or in my pack.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I would not buy a Marbles. I've had good luck with the older ones but I've heard LOTS of complaints about the newer ones going back several years. Definitely go with TruNord.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Are there any Tru-Nord stockists in the UK. After Hoodoo's post I've visited a few forums that have threads about Marbles compasses, and the word round the bonfire seems to be, if you can get a really old 'dry' marbles they are OK but the new ones are brass outer with a plastic wet compass inside and they tend to have a bubble inside more often than not that makes em nigh on useless. :?:

I think Tru Nord is the way to go IMO :biggthump

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Even some of the newer ones without the liquid module inside can be crappy. Also keep in mind that as these types of compasses age, the pivot eventually wears out so if you buy them really old, you may or may not get a good one. Get a new TruNord and it will last you many years.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i'v been looking in to getting one in the UK too! ODS says he doesnt stock them at the moment.. maybe people would be interested in getting a bunch from the US and sharing the shipping cost??

by the way mighty oak why is a wet compass with a bubble in it useless?

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I always end up with a bubble after a few years and it interferes with the needle swing. A Silva mini compass I have solves this by having a domed capaule and the bubble ends up being useful as a bubble level.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
tomtom said:
i'v been looking in to getting one in the UK too! ODS says he doesnt stock them at the moment.. maybe people would be interested in getting a bunch from the US and sharing the shipping cost??

by the way mighty oak why is a wet compass with a bubble in it useless?

Same as what DWH says above. If your compass has a flat faceplate and you get a bubble in it, the surface tension of the liquid can interfere with the needle swing and give false readings. Not good if your're in the mist or a whiteout and relying on it not to send you off the side of a mountain. :yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE