Question about Leather working tools....

Feb 10, 2009
Carmarthen
Hello all,
First time posting so forgive me if this question has been asked before. I am investing some money in a start up set of leather working tools and have purchased some Osbourne gouges and am not sure if i am happy with them. Firstly the edges on both tools are terrible. The right angle gouge has chips out of the blade that are visible to the naked eye and the edge on the curved gouge is rolled over to a visible degree. I am aware that its the norm for carpenters to sharpen some of their tools on purchase but i think this is a bit above whats expected. Also the gouge wobbles in its guides so if you use the guides as a depth guide it leaves imprints on the leather. I am thinking i should send them back, any advice more than welcome.

Ta muchly.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If I spent the money on new Osbourne tools I'd definitely want them right straight out of the box. I'd be sending them back without any shadow of a doubt; totally unacceptable, as far as I'm concerned.

Where did you buy them from?

Feb 10, 2009
Carmarthen
Ay up Macaroon..

I bought them from a tool supplier online, i don't think they are so much at fault, they tools come with the blades dipped in rubber to protect them ( Although it would seem they aren't worth protecting..) and if the supplier was to check every blade before he sent it out he would be breaking this seal and that may be something that customers are looking for as a sign of newness and originality when they buy them. Was a bit surprised by the quality though, being as i had done some digging around prior to spending my start up money and found Osbourne's tools popular.

Feb 10, 2009
Carmarthen
Short and sweet, Thanks Angst ;-)
Am heading that way but just wondered what people thought about the quality of these tools, and whether it was worth getting some of the same again and hoping that they are better quality or should i just go ahead and try something else.. wadya reckon?

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...well to be honest osbournes should be lovely....so return them and voice your issues to the seller saying youre happy to try again to give benefit of doubt but if theyre the same again theyll be going back again (and make sure they pay return postage....as far as i'm concerned they should if theyre grossly at fault and i always kick off till i get it too....you shouldnt be out of pocket for someone elses faults)...if theyre not happy with that because they think youre being over-fussy then simply return for refund. you could always ask them to check the edges....

s

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE