Question about army issue arctic sleeping bag????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
Does anyone know anything about the "Sleeping Bag, Arctic, Mk2" sleeping bag made by CQC Ltd?? They look like they date from he 1970s/80s. It looks larger and more substantial that the 58pat bag. If anyone knows anything about them I'd appreciate the info. Are they warmer/ heavier/lighter, better that the current issue arctic bag? Cheers

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
They were issued to the Royal Marines who trained in Norway every year. They are an upgraded 58 pattern bag, with more filling so warmer and heavier, and has an external zip baffle to minimise heat loss. My brother used them in Norway and reckons they were great kit if you had a good one. The problem with any second hand bad is there's no way to tell how long they have been stored in compression sacks, nor how often they have been laundered/dry cleaned, both of which reduce the effectiveness of the bag.

My understanding based on my bro's experience is they are great bags when new or in good condition. Older bags will have lost filling, which is feather not down, so the spikey feathers come through the bag and get lost.

As for the new issue bags, well the same applies regarding how warm they are. An older well washed bag won't be very warm. I have a brand new one labelled ''arctic issue'' but haven't yet used it below zero degrees. It was very warm at that temp though.

I may be wrong on this next point and am happy to be corrected but...my understanding is the soldier 95 synthetic bag and the ''arctic issue'' synthetic bag are basically the same bag. Mine has more loft in the foot area than the standard bag but that seems to be the only difference. They both weigh the same.

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
i had the arctic feather bag with the pvc nylon cover for years and every morning would wake up covered in feathers.
your correct that the spikey feathers pushed their way through the nylon.
the up side with the feather bags was i washed it loads of times and never noticed any massive reduction in warmth.
my arctic synthetic is actually 2 thinner bags sewn inside of each other very similar to my new unissued carinthea def4

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
Dave and screw are both right re. The down bgs. However if a own bag has been in storage for a hle unfold the bag for at least 24/48 hours to allow the air he gt between the feathers, thus regenerating he effectiveness of your bag. The moden synthetic ones are bin great bags issued to troops in Norway. However. Find these bags heavier and bulkier compared to the older 58 bag. It's horses or ourses really but if rooms an issue get a 58 bags and compression sack as it will save you space if its compressed rather than rolled. If there's no issue with weight space 90 pattern synthetic every time....
Or the Dutch 90 pattern/klu system are both really good alternatives....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE