Quench Sea - Portable desalination Device

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Looking at Indiegogo comments, looks like isn't shipping.

Also update from a month ago, looks like still in testing.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's constructed for sailors.
It's life boat equipment.

For third world disaster help a simple destill apparatus would be the better idea of course. But otherwise you can't earn enough with that. And as you surely know very well they would use it for making vodka anyway.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Wouldn´t it be cheaper with a distill to make freshwater out of saltwater?
A simple distiller takes huge amounts of energy to clean water. It is possible to make it much better with the cost of added compexity. If at theoretical max efficiency 1 sqm of solar collector area produces about 1.5l of water on a simple distiller in one hour (if I got my point in the right place). I guess practical might be about half of that.

Countries like UAE seem to produce almost all of the cities water with reverse osmosis, theoretically drinkable but it still contains some salt. It is used for watering the parks etc. at some point they'll notice that the salt collects on the surface layer in the ground and a lot of plants do not like that.

Last edited:

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
When I was living and crossing Oceans on my boat I looked at many devices for emergency freshwater supply. I'd just like to point out that I found many of the manual pump operated types look good on paper and in their sales brochures, but practically, in many cases were not viable, at least for a single handed sailor or indeed traveller in hot climates.

From the Quenchsea advert...in ideal conditions, QuenchSea can produce three liters of water within one hour.

Continually pumping that handle (as an individual) without a break for one hour in the Tropics may give you one or more Litres but you will have sweated three or four within that hour...

I actually tried one at a Boat Show, it was made by Katadyn I seem to remember..Hard work pumping that handle for a trickle of water and that was ashore in an Exhibition Hall, not in a bouncing life raft miles from land. " In ideal conditions" If you find yourself needing to convert sea water to fresh, I suspect you have found yourself definitely not in ideal conditions already.

Last edited:
Reactions: crosslandkelly

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Yes I saw that when I was searching out water info, like distilled water is ok but has no electrolytes and minerals in it as you would get from tap water.

Hopefully this is a good start and the device will improve and become more efficient over time.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
When I was living and crossing Oceans on my boat I looked at many devices for emergency freshwater supply. I'd just like to point out that I found many of the manual pump operated types look good on paper and in their sales brochures, but practically, in many cases were not viable, at least for a single handed sailor or indeed traveller in hot climates.

From the Quenchsea advert...in ideal conditions, QuenchSea can produce three liters of water within one hour.

Continually pumping that handle (as an individual) without a break for one hour in the Tropics may give you one or more Litres but you will have sweated three or four within that hour...

I actually tried one at a Boat Show, it was made by Katadyn I seem to remember..Hard work pumping that handle for a trickle of water and that was ashore in an Exhibition Hall, not in a bouncing life raft miles from land. " In ideal conditions" If you find yourself needing to convert sea water to fresh, I suspect you have found yourself definitely not in ideal conditions already.
Wasn’t this pumping action the noise that eventually saved Tony Bullimore?
Sorry to go off topic…..
S

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Wasn’t this pumping action the noise that eventually saved Tony Bullimore?
Sorry to go off topic…..
S
I'm not too well up on the full details of that incident, Swyn. The small pump that I tried had a pump arm about 9 inches long if I remember correctly, and yes it did make a squeaking noise, a bit like pumping up a push bike tyre.

Reactions: swyn

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Don't think that Quench Sea is usable on an inflatable lifeboat, with having to hold it down with your foot.

Have read that can add a relatively small amount of seawater back into the desalinated water to still get the minerals. I presume after putting it through a standard freshwater filter to still remove any of the regular waterborne diseases.
But doesn't seem to make much sense in a short term survival situation, if the rule of thumb is 3 weeks without food.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I'm not too well up on the full details of that incident, Swyn. The small pump that I tried had a pump arm about 9 inches long if I remember correctly, and yes it did make a squeaking noise, a bit like pumping up a push bike tyre.
Quickly;
There he was (Bullimore) surviving in an upside down racing yacht in The Southern Ocean in a dry suit and a little hand operated de-salinator. No one knew if he was still alive but the SAR folk had found the hull still afloat. They had a sonar I believe and were listening to noises before sending a diver to investigate the inside of the upturned hull. They heard a less than rythmic squeaking noise, sent the RIB towards the hull. Bullimore heard the motor and shot out on the opposite side to the RIB. Saved!
His autobiography is called 'Saved!'. I enjoyed the read, he was quite a charachter.
S

Last edited:
Reactions: saxonaxe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE