Quaich Question

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Hi to all - This is my first post.
I have been interested in the green wood crafts for a few years now, and a reader of this forum for a few months.
My question is this - What would be the best finish for a quaich made from sycamore if I wish to drink malt whisky out of it?
I usually use walnut oil on my bowls and spoons, but I would worry that the alcohol would wash out the oil.
Looking forward to reading your suggestions.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I use beeswax on my kuksa but I've never tried it with whiskey so I can't suggest it with certainty. :dunno:

Hopefully someone will be along soon with some solid advice.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
4167.gif

riggers

Forager
Jan 13, 2009
newmains scotland
waylander i have just looked at your website mate your pics are out standing love the way you fuse the water like that how lond of an exposure did you have to use for that very impressed

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
A very good question and one I would like the answer to. I treat quaiches with linseed and after many treatments and a lot of curing time they are pretty good but the whiskey does dissolve it and it does weep a bit through the end grain. There are obviously plenty of epoxey type comercial finishes or superglue but I want something natural. The Japanese use urushi which is natural and not dissolved by spirits but many folks have allergic reactions to it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just wrap a bit of wax in a handspan sized square of linen. Put it on a plate and then pop the whole thing in the oven until the wax melts into the cloth. Let it cool, peel it off the plate and then work it soft rubbing it into the bowl of the quaich.
The cloth stores well and gets used each time the quaich has an outing.
It hasn't cracked yet, doesn't taint the liquor and buffs up beautifully :D
cheers,
Toddy

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I use a hand size bundle of plumber's hemp fibres. Same as Mary, pop it in a tin can with a small block of beeswax, let it all melt together, line a tea cup with clingfilm, pour/scoop the wax/fibre mix into the cup and let it set hard.

Then I peel off the clingfilm and I have a waxy, semi abraisive round sided polishing tool to apply the beeswax to the inside of the container I wish to seal.

Rubbing the block vigorously into the wood will impart some of the beeswax onto the wood while the friction of the hemp fibres causes enough heat to melt the beeswax and get it into the wood fibre. The hemp also stops the wax from breaking off in lumps.

It takes some elbow grease and a final buffing with raw hemp just puts a lovely sheen on the surface.

Beeswax is impervious to all kinds of alcohol (that's why they used to seal the tops of bottles with a plug of beeswax way back before they had access to cork).

You can buy plumber's hemp in a small pack from B&Q or the like. When unpacked from the plastic bag it looks like a bunch of long blonde hair. It's also brilliant for use as tinder and will take a spark readily from a ferro rod and works well with charcloth and flint and steel. It's what I use almost exclusively for my firelighting demos.

It's also very handy for practising spinning with long fibres like flax as opposed to wool and is great for making hand made cordage.

Eric

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

I think that I will give the beeswax a go first. I would like to post some pics soon, but I don't yet have a digital camera, but may have one soon.

Thanks again!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE