Puritab quick question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Hi didn't know where to ask so thought I'd try here, been looking at aluminium canteens, after I finished laughing at the prices I found some cheap czech M60 ones, but think they are only 800ml, would I get away with popping a whole tab in? I know it's normally one per 1 litre of water.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Yes they are on the small side around 800ml. It's a matter of taste or rather bowel tolerance that I found to be the limiting factor and typically you can get away with overdosing a couple of times before taste-buds & intestines revolt. There's also an increased risk of kidney damage so it's not something you want to do regularly. Better solution would be Lifesystems chlorine drops & neutraliser set or just go old school take your time and boil the water first. Alternatively pack a big ziplock bag that will hold a liter and use that to get the concentration right with puritabs, fill the canteen & drink the remainder. (after waiting 20-30 minutes for it to work)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Yes they are on the small side around 800ml. It's a matter of taste or rather bowel tolerance that I found to be the limiting factor and typically you can get away with overdosing a couple of times before taste-buds & intestines revolt. There's also an increased risk of kidney damage so it's not something you want to do regularly. Better solution would be Lifesystems chlorine drops & neutraliser set or just go old school take your time and boil the water first. Alternatively pack a big ziplock bag that will hold a liter and use that to get the concentration right with puritabs, fill the canteen & drink the remainder. (after waiting 20-30 minutes for it to work)
Great advice @Bishop. I also carry a 1ltr HD zip lock bag in my 'Modern Survival Kit' specifically for that purpose.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: MrEd

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Yep better with a 1l so you can get dosing right, i use puritabs in a 1l stainless nalgene offering. A plastic 1 litter nalgene would work just aswell
Yes I have had plastic ones but was after aluminium ones, though I know some of the plastic ones are strong and I'm not likely to be needing to boil the canteen on a open fire.
1 litre Austrian Army used aluminium bottle and used steel mug but new pouch 20 €.

Thanks erbswurst might get bit pricey getting 2 delivered.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Army surplus Crusader bottles are 1l, strong and cheap. If you're not looking to boil them, then they are more than adequate + you can stack a metal cup and lid with them in a cheap and easy to find pouch (with a wee pocket for your puritabs!). My bottles are older than I care to admit but have never let me down.
(I am trying out the Pathfinder bottle and cup combo as it can be boiled, etc - but I prefer the aesthetics of the Crusader system)

Reactions: moocher

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
Army surplus Crusader bottles are 1l, strong and cheap. If you're not looking to boil them, then they are more than adequate + you can stack a metal cup and lid with them in a cheap and easy to find pouch (with a wee pocket for your puritabs!). My bottles are older than I care to admit but have never let me down.
(I am trying out the Pathfinder bottle and cup combo as it can be boiled, etc - but I prefer the aesthetics of the Crusader system)

Crusader bottles all the way. After all thousands of users can't be too wrong. But anything but Puritabs. I brought an MSR sweetwater filter never looked back.

Si

Reactions: DocG

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
There's a lot of options out there to choose from to be sure with something for everyone's style/budget of bushcraft.
For instance 1Liter Fruit juice cartons can be found with screw caps and these are a nice fit for the cheap utility pouches and haversack kits.
IMAG3743.jpg

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Are such closures really water tight if one sets the carton under pressure???

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Are such closures really water tight if one sets the carton under pressure???

They work surprisingly better than one would expect a container made from foil lined cardboard. The weak component however is not the screw cap top itself but the glue to cardboard bonding interface or rather to be precise underneath it before the inner foil layer. Removing the cap for the first time drives down a cutting ring to pierce the foil layer and this is where the the rot sets in as it exposes that half millimeter layer of unwaterproofed cardboard to the contents. The seepage/damage is so slow that under normal use for the first few days to a week or often more it's unnoticeable to the user but eventually the entire screw cap assembly will fall off. Unless of course one removes the cutting ring and adds a good smear of suitable glue inside the neck, then they last a way bit longer.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I played around with 0,5 litres Volvic wide mouth plastic bottles. They survive round about half a year of regular use.
And since last year I found them in a 1 litre version too!

But I stopped playing with them, because my interest in ultra light equipment isn't so big any more.
I currently concentrate in really long lasting light stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE