Pulse Oxymeter ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gimli

Jun 2, 2014
United Kingdom
I know this'll sound like my usual gripe. I wouldn't carry one in the outdoors no mater how good it was, unless you are also going to carry oxygen. Monitoring something that you cant do anything about will only cause distraction and stress. I also wouldn't use a cheap one no matter what. There is always a margin of error, usually +/-2% with the expensive devices, I dread to think what it would be in the cheap ones. I often find with people who have been lying in the outdoors you cant get a reading due to them being cold and peripherally shut down. The casualties colour will tell you all you need to know about their condition. Sorry to be negative, but you really don't need this stuff for outdoor/bushcraft first aid.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Completely agree with what Gimli says. No point carrying one if you don't have Oxygen, you're better off getting a decent fob watch and getting really good at taking a pulse on lots of different parts of the body.

The cheap ones are a waste of money, and for something that could be used in a life or death situation, you really want something you can rely on.

Julia

Bindle

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2014
The Mendips
Yep, agree with the above. Why would you want one? It would serve no useful purpose out in the wild without oxygen. Unless of course you have a medical condition which means you need one, in which case please don't get one for a couple of quid!

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I bought one off ebay from china. works just fine. Not convinced carrying oxygen is important, Teaching Fist Aid as a Diver I know how beneficial it is. But being able to report over the phone what 02 sat is may speed up the response time, or give you more time to react to why your checking ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1213...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0
I bought something similar to that,only ever used as a demo unit

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A colleague bought a cheap (20 quid) one off amazon. I was very unimpressed by it, I would save up and pay a bit more on one worth having.

Julia

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
So no one can answer my actual question ?

Fair comment, I can understand why replies were made in the vein that they were.

Me too, I would have misinterpreted your question as being 'are lower cost ones better or equal to higher price ones?'

I totally missed the point regarding UK suppliers.

It reads like the replies were made with good intent, you posed one of those questions that, whilst correct, could have been elaborated upon a little more.

I'm hopefully not stoking a fire here.

rorymax

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I bought one off ebay from china. works just fine. Not convinced carrying oxygen is important, Teaching Fist Aid as a Diver I know how beneficial it is. But being able to report over the phone what 02 sat is may speed up the response time, or give you more time to react to why your checking ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1213...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0
I bought something similar to that,only ever used as a demo unit

thanks for for answering the post.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
The point of my post was that i paid top dollar for my unit, and its still accurate and working after 10 yrs of hard use. I would be wary of cheap versions, some ive seen arent that robust and can be less than accurate.

Gimli

Jun 2, 2014
United Kingdom
Giving the sats over the phone may speed up the response? Eh naw! If you're reading the sats without the ability to supply O2 and knowing the British Thoracic Society guidelines on oxygen therapy then I think you may be misunderstanding why we take a patients sats.

Gimli

Jun 2, 2014
United Kingdom
I could ask the same question but replace 'pulse oxymeter' with Jetboil or Polycotton tarp, I would still get similar responses. :confused:

So has anyone bought one online ?

No you wouldn't get the same reply. I can understand why you would be looking for a comparison of cooking stoves, you absolutely need one for days away. I suppose to be fair you didn't mention that you wanted to use it outdoors so perhaps I've been a bit rash and presumptuous. Therefore I would say don't go near the cheap ones. I have used one and it fell apart very quickly, and it was only a spare used as a backup, so not hard use. If you want to buy patient care kit it's worth spending money.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE