Prototype Shirt/Jacket

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I've been trying out making a shirt/jacket for sitting around the fire and knocked up this prototype as a test piece for learning how and what, and the pitfalls and problems in making these things so I am asking for any comments or suggestions from everyone. Please don't hold back but remember this is only a first attempt. Made from a blanket of mix wool and synthetic it is for design and construction purposes.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
First I laid out the blanket on the floor folded in half, then cut out the basic shape, and sewed it together, the collar and cuffs were then attached and pockets added. As you can see it is generous both in length and girth (well I am a big boy afterall) but it feel exceedingly warm and comfortable with the zip up neck. Well what do you think folks?

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
just been thinking of a few mods. that might be worth thinking about.

I would have made 2 sidepockets, toploaded further down on the shirt.

And the handpockets i would have moved further up, and joined so it was one big pocket, sideloaded from either side.
I would have made another even bigger pocket on top of the handpockets, as a toploaded pocket aswell, with a flap going over the opening.

Just a few ideas of course.

Looks nice though. Hows the comfortability of wearing it?

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
nice. I have my little sister comign round and goign to ask her to make me somethign like that, also thinkign about a hooded poncho or cape.

What is the weight like?

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I was thinking of a couple of top loaded chest pockets plus the same further down as well for the next attempt DKW. Iv'e also considered a hood for the next on which would be useful I reckon. Once it's on it's actually quite comfy and easy to move around in and it's not very heavy at all actually feels very light when worn. It is quite big though for packing, there again so is a Swanndri I suppose, not that I'm comparing my effort to a Swanndri but size is about the same. I also considered a rear fold down flap with a waterproof layer for sitting about on wet logs or whatever which could be held up with Velcro and dropped down when needed, sort of pampers for bushcrafters thing, what dya think?

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Fold-down flap would be a nice thing. I'd take it even further and hold it up with a zipper or buttons, and make it large enough to act like a game-pocket for smaller fowl or pos. even a smallsized rabbit or the like. Sideloaded ofcourse, with the waterprooflayer on the inside it would be worth considering.
That combined with the aforementioned pockets i'd even consider making one myself, or even buy one.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
My thinking on the backflap is using Velcro as this would prevent any lumps from buttons or zips digging in when reclining or sitting back against anything. The waterproof membrane fitted to the outside for sitting on which would then flip up and be on the inside when fastened up. It would have to be a decent size to give enough area for sitting on, so would be big enough for storage when closed.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
The waterproof membrane fitted to the outside for sitting on which would then flip up and be on the inside when fastened up. It would have to be a decent size to give enough area for sitting on, so would be big enough for storage when closed.

Just my thoughts excactly.
If the velcro's up for it, then sure. I personally would have used flat and large diameter buttons instead, but hey. If velcro can do the job, then why not.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I've got some of the really strong industrial stuff, and it really is strong, but if the flap was wide enough I reckon a couple of large buttons would work but would perhaps open up the top centre when loaded with weight was my thoughts as well.

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
Nice dress.

I would make the pockets bigger, maybe with a flap over the top to prevent water coming in. Other than that, I like it.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Have you tried a rucksack on over the top of it? I'd be tempted to put the pockets were they can be used with a rucksack on and maybe add a bit of hard wearing fabric on the shoulders to prevent wear and add water resistance.

Looks great, hope you'll be sharing the finished pattern :D

Scoops

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
That look good i like it. I used the same pattern but put on a hood for my ventile smock that i made.
Topknot

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
That looks really good, I like it a lot.

If it were mine I'd add a chest pocket, there's always something to put in a chest pocket.

Don't forget to give us the pattern, you could be responsible for a new must have garment, the Sniper Bushshirt!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Ok taking on the suggestions from you guys here is the Mk2 what do you think?
Larger pockets down low, top loader pockets with flaps on chest, hood, and pampers flap still to be fitted with waterproof layer yet, but coming slowly.

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Still looking good.
Is it possible to make a 2 layer pocket on the chest?
I think like a sideloaded pocket (for hands and easy/fast to grab smallstuff) with a slightly larger toploaded pocket over it.

I'd have the shirt as such done like the first (eg. with a zipper or buttons not going all the way down) and the chestpockets in 2 layers, going all the way over the chest, thus making 2 very large pockets. One topladed, and one sideloaded from eitherside inside the topladed but with acces from the outside.

Was that understandable? If not i could probably make a fast sketch to show what i mean?

but really nice work sofar, and a bril. idea.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
It could be easily done on the first one mate, just a double rectangle sewed onto the chest with cutout for side access and a flap for the toploader. Sew on the external sideloader to the internal first then sew the whole thing onto the chest.
I had thought about a shoulder yolk using the same stuff as the pamper flap lining Scoops but I think it may be a little ambitious for me at this time as this is my first attempt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE