Promote search engine before starting a new thread

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Maybe an idea (IMHO) to give the search function a more prominent place? The last few weeks there where several posts made, that where made already by another member - and, where discussed indepth ... A simple search could have answered the questions from our new mates ...

Most of these posts were made by new members ... I've got nothing against new members, I've been one once myself - and the more people, the more knowledge and new friendships will be made on the forum. But by giving the search function a more prominent place / position on the forum, you'll prevent (hopefully) new "double" posts ...

Over on BB they use a small list off "Relevant threads" underneath the running thread, maybe another idea?

Or maybe some sort of index with a FAQ list.
These "double"questions are mostly kit / knife orientated - so by making a locked thread, containing an abundant kit list with all sorts of items on it, which on there own link to a result page from the search engine - you'll probably stop this "problem".

Don't know if this all is done by hand, or by computerprogrammes - but I'm happy to give you guys a helping hand on this one.

Just some thoughts.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I was about to suggest the FAQ thread,you beat me to it! :D as well as for new members I like the idea as I have had problems actually finding the information I have wanted through search, there is so much information on here I end up getting sidetracked. I second the idea, and I understand it may sound easier than it is! :D

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I've been thinking similar... in the kit forum, perhaps make a locked sticky thread around a particular theme which will link to the best threads on a subject, eg one on shelters could bring together the good threads on tarps, hootchies bashas etc. I wouldn't want this to stifle discussion though since since the chat can be just as important as the facts at times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE