Processing a goat with a "bushcrafter"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day everyone.

As part of a 6 month evaluation, I recently used a Bark River Liten Bror to fully process a goat for the table.

I also wanted to see how it would go when it was close to the end of a working edge. IMO, this is the best way to evaluate a particular knife edge profile .

BTW, I needed to whittle seasoned hardwood for a solid hour to get it to this stage. So what you'll see in the following videos is not a fresh edge.

Some advice to everyone before watching the videos at the attched links.

They show graphic footage of a goat being processed.

Another note before viewing the videos.

With a freshly killed animal, it's generally easier to punch the skin off. When the animal has had a chance to cool down a bit (common with snare & trap caught animals), they will generally require more blade work to seperate the skin. To this end, there is more blade work shown than required for this goat. Please bear in mind that the videos shown are intended to show case the ability of the Liten Bror to work as required, rather than serve as the single fastest way to process a goat.

First up is skinning the goat with the Liten Bror
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFuLY3_NbFk

Second is using the Liten Bror to dress the goat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_OWphZX0Cw

Third is using the liten Bror to break up the carcass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdu49Z6rcRo

Thanks for looking.

Kind regards
Mick

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
My first thoughts are that in the context of in-the-field dressing of deer in the UK; that is of carcasses for ones own consumption and not for sale via a game dealer, there is a lot to be said for skinning the beast before evisceration if you can work fast.

You don't often see it done that way though as the emphasis here is firmly on getting the beast opened up and cooled ASAP.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

F

ferretfeller

kill the deer, goat, whatever.
gut it as soon as possible, be carefull not to puncture its insides, between the gut cavity and the ribs there is a sort of flesh wall. cut around this, and pull out the heart and lungs, clean thoughroly inside and then if you havn't already, cut its throught and bleed it, this means hang it upside down and drain the blood out, make sure you put something down to soak up the blood.
between the leg bone and achelies tendon? cut through this we of skin to make a hole, do this on both back legs and this makes an easy place to hang it, now bend the front legs and cut the knee down too the bone, bend it back and do the same, then twist it off and cut the remander, do this on both then cut the skin down from the hole you are hanging it from, to the gut cavity, slowy gut around the back legs knee, making sure you dont sever the tendon, then peel it down too the tail/ ****. cut this out, then cary on peeling down its back untill the front legs, cut off the head and pull the skin compleatly off, sort of like pulling off a jumper, haha. you will now have what looks like a deer shaped peice of meat, jointing is difficult to explain, but easy if you start from the head end and move upwards, keep the skin if you want to tan it, use the brains from the head if you want to do this "the rustic way" :D
good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE