Primitive skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
I like bushcraft but I lean more towards primitive skills id define bushcraft as 50% primitive skills50% camping are they any UK based 100% primitive skill forums I carn t find any

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
I don’t think they have discovered the internet yet buddy.
that's a fair point buddy I was refused in a primitive Facebook group once because I said I used steel knives flint isn't easy to find in the UK hence why it was a valuable trade d comodity, iv gutted game with there own fractured leg bones but it's messy

Reactions: Athos

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
that's a fair point buddy I was refused in a primitive Facebook group once because I said I used steel knives flint isn't easy to find in the UK hence why it was a valuable trade d comodity, iv gutted game with there own fractured leg bones but it's messy
Can’t move for flint here in Sussex, usually jutting out of the ground next to a particularly slippery section of chalk path. Nothing reminds you quicker that the ground is hard and you are soft than sweet, sweet flint.

I’d post you some but then they’d probably give you **** for it having travelled via the infernal combustion engine.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Can’t move for flint here in Sussex, usually jutting out of the ground next to a particularly slippery section of chalk path. Nothing reminds you quicker that the ground is hard and you are soft than sweet, sweet flint.
I live in Doncaster I believe it's mostly down South I only reliably find it on coastlines near me

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I like bushcraft but I lean more towards primitive skills id define bushcraft as 50% primitive skills50% camping are they any UK based 100% primitive skill forums I carn t find any
I don't think there are, I have never seen or heard of any and I can think of one big reason that any that started are no more. We simply do not have the population nor the open spaces to maintain a sufficient body of members over time. Forums rise and fall. They fall faster if they are particularly niche interests and the population they can draw on is small. Even within this "bushcraft" community, the number who are really focused on primitive skills to the limitation or exclusion of others is very small.

There are two things to think about though.
First, if a group has exclusionary biases and rules, but has information that you want, are you able to control yourself enough to play along, take what you want and let the rest slide off or is it unavoidable that your differences will show up? I used to be into archery, building my own bows, but I liked the US flat bow designs and the vibrancy and creativity in trying different designs. The UK archery clubs I joined were not like that in that the only wood bows were D-section long bows, and there was a lot of snobbery about flat bows. Couldn't really hide the bows I was shooting, so I drifted away.

Second thing is kind of related. Is it so bad to spend time on a US forum? I am a member on maybe half a dozen US forums and they are generally friendly and helpful with a lot of passionate and enthusiastic members. There is a lot of experience on tap there. The limitations are sourcing tools and materials, and meeting up in real life.

One last thing...I think you might like this link. Torjus Gaaren was a member here once and some of us spent some very interesting times with him in the mountains near his home. Sadly he doesn't post here any more.

ATB

Chris

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster

I’d post you some but then they’d probably give you **** for it having travelled via the infernal combustion engine.
Ahaaaa

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
I don't think there are, I have never seen or heard of any and I can think of one big reason that any that started are no more. We simply do not have the population nor the open spaces to maintain a sufficient body of members over time. Forums rise and fall. They fall faster if they are particularly niche interests and the population they can draw on is small. Even within this "bushcraft" community, the number who are really focused on primitive skills to the limitation or exclusion of others is very small.

There are two things to think about though.
First, if a group has exclusionary biases and rules, but has information that you want, are you able to control yourself enough to play along, take what you want and let the rest slide off or is it unavoidable that your differences will show up? I used to be into archery, building my own bows, but I liked the US flat bow designs and the vibrancy and creativity in trying different designs. The UK archery clubs I joined were not like that in that the only wood bows were D-section long bows, and there was a lot of snobbery about flat bows. Couldn't really hide the bows I was shooting, so I drifted away.

Second thing is kind of related. Is it so bad to spend time on a US forum? I am a member on maybe half a dozen US forums and they are generally friendly and helpful with a lot of passionate and enthusiastic members. There is a lot of experience on tap there. The limitations are sourcing tools and materials, and meeting up in real life.

One last thing...I think you might like this link. Torjus Gaaren was a member here once and some of us spent some very interesting times with him in the mountains near his home. Sadly he doesn't post here any more.

ATB

Chris
U could practise primitive skills without harming the environment to much , make sheltersfrom dead wood, friction firess obv dead wood , making traps but taking them down and just learning the mechanics knapping glass because flint depends on geological locality the only bad thing is the only reliable plant based bowdrill cordage that works for me is pine,spruce roots and u carn t do this with regularity in this country and permission is needed, then there's disturbing fungi habitats from using the dead wood I guess it isnt black and white

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
All natural shelters made exclusively from dead wood will tend to let the rain in ;) Scraping all the leaf litter off the forest floor for dozens of yards in every direction might not be seen as zero impact. Other thatching is hardly better. Since primitive camping relies more on the environment than on brought-in modern gear, it is going to have more of a local impact. A dozen hammock/stove campers could use an area for a night or two each over the course of a couple of months and leave little or no trace.

A person can absolutely learn some primitive type skills at home, in their own back garden. Knapping glass is one example, as is hand-drill, and construction of some traps. However, people like to get out in the "wild". We get lots of people asking where they can go out and practice "bushcraft", which often means they want to go and camp, cook on a fire and harvest wood and other materials for craft projects. The US simply has more places with more space and with fewer people than we have here. Folk there can actually hunt with primitive means. It is easier to keep interest going with that. Also, they have had indigenous people living that sort of life more recently than we have here, so there is more interest from that angle. If you can use that to your advantage on-line, I don't see why you shouldn't.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
All natural shelters made exclusively from dead wood will tend to let the rain in ;) Scraping all the leaf litter off the forest floor for dozens of yards in every direction might not be seen as zero impact. Other thatching is hardly better. Since primitive camping relies more on the environment than on brought-in modern gear, it is going to have more of a local impact. A dozen hammock/stove campers could use an area for a night or two each over the course of a couple of months and leave little or no trace.

A person can absolutely learn some primitive type skills at home, in their own back garden. Knapping glass is one example, as is hand-drill, and construction of some traps. However, people like to get out in the "wild". We get lots of people asking where they can go out and practice "bushcraft", which often means they want to go and camp, cook on a fire and harvest wood and other materials for craft projects. The US simply has more places with more space and with fewer people than we have here. Folk there can actually hunt with primitive means. It is easier to keep interest going with that. Also, they have had indigenous people living that sort of life more recently than we have here, so there is more interest from that angle. If you can use that to your advantage on-line, I don't see why you shouldn't.
iv slept in debris hut s in winter believe it or not it kept out the rain ☔ it wasn't just wood though was a lot of leaflitter ferns wiry stems as withys was it comfortable ? No I got hardly any sleep was it warm? Yes but it wasn't a bed. I didn't die of hypothermia so I class this shelter as a success

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
iv slept in debris hut s in winter believe it or not it kept out the rain ☔ it wasn't just wood though was a lot of leaflitter ferns wiry stems as withys was it comfortable ? No I got hardly any sleep was it warm? Yes but it wasn't a bed. I didn't die of hypothermia so I class this shelter as a success

Chris' point is that, to do that, you have had to remove a great deal of material from the woodland floor or pulled up ferns (some of which may have been rare) and generally had an impact on the environment in a crowded island - in 'bigger wilderness' countries such action would be a drop in the ocean; here it may be significant.

Reactions: Spirit fish

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Chris' point is that, to do that, you have had to remove a great deal of material from the woodland floor or pulled up ferns (some of which may have been rare) and generally had an impact on the environment in a crowded island - in 'bigger wilderness' countries such action would be a drop in the ocean; here it may be significant.
They was dead but I get what u mean it was in my learning phase

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE