Primitive Charcoal Making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Hi all,

Has anyone here ever tried making charcoal? I made some not too long ago and roasted a chicken on a spit over it. Had to light a fire first though as the coals were to cold.

Its quite simple to make, all you need is a fire, a good spade and some leafy material like Rhode Aden ran (is that spelt right?).

Wait for the fire to burn down to embers then it with the leaves but making sure that a small log is not covered so that it can be pulled out later and an air hole produced. Now, it with mud and make sure no smoke is rising. Then, pull out the small log to produce the hole and leave that for about 3 hours then it with mud. Leave it over night and uncover it when your is prepared! Simple as that. :wink:

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
If you don't need lage quantities you can make it the same way as charcloth- in a tin! I use an A10 size tin (catering size baked bean) covered in foil with a small hole in the middle (for smoke to escape) laeve for about an hour on a really hot fire/ embers then leave to cool completely. As with making charcloth pack it in nice and tight and don't remove the 'lid' until it's completely cooled. :eek:\:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Thats a quicker and easier method if you have a tin however what i was explaining and need to add to the title is 'primitive charcoal making'

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Young Bushman
Can you please explain what the URLs are in your posts? Looks to me like an affiliate scheme where the person earns money based on people clicking the links?

I've done a bit of checking and it looks like your PC is infected with Adware called NTsearch, more nuisance value than anything else for you

Andrew (in moderator mode)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE