Pressure canning in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Your prices and availability of canning gear fill me with envy Santaman :(

If you ever come here in a private boat, can I fill the hold please?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oh, nothing really needed. But like you, There are things there that are difficult to get here (or more properly, expensive to ship here) that would be nice. I will get with you though if I can think of something woth the shipping expense.

Likewise, let me know if there'snything you need that's worth said shipping costs; While the jars are inexpensive here, I suspect the shipping would be dear.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh yeah absolutely. I rather meant I will fill a barn for the return leg of your mythical journey :D Happy to buy and post anything to you that's worth shipping though - I've done it for a few mates in the US and they for me - there are some things with weird price discrepancies!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oh. Well for the mythical journey, put me down for a matched pair of H&H 12 bores with 26" barrels and modified chokes :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No such thing sir - but I can put you down for a pair with 1/2 choke if you like? :)

Generally they come with a difference though 1/4 and 1/2 is the most common game config. 26" would not be a gentleman's gun although they do exist - bear in mind a gentleman shoots challenging birds for sport - so 28" is the minimum and 30 or even 32" are not uncommon for those high pheasants.

Weirdly, the really great guns are dirt cheap - if I wanted to fix you up with classic English shotguns I wouldn't go near H&H or Purdey - the best value are some of the Damascus barrelled 2 1/2" chamber hammer guns. Now that is a real gentleman's gun - probably handed down by granddad and not well fitting - often only black powder proofed and never an ejector. Rebounding hammers and good scrollwork. Yours for £500 and upwards - but a huge amount of gun for the money - completely handmade. If I had the cash I'd round up a container load and sell them somewhere that would appreciate a 150 year old handmade gun for that money

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Those guns sound great BR, I wouldn't be disappointed with any of them. The 26" barrels would be great on Bobwhites here. The 28" you mentioned (including the differentiated chokes) would be the most common here as well, being an all around bird and small game compromise. The longer ones (30" or longer) would be great here for Morning Doves, Geese, and high flying Ducks.

I too have a shotgun passed down from granddad. As you said, it's ill fitting now, though it was fantastic when I was teen learning to shoot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE