Prep of Birch Polypor fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 2, 2007
Taunton
Hi Guys i have found some nice Birch ploypor fungus while walking the mad mutt in the woods i want to use it for firelighting.
Q How do i prep it for use?

Q Which part do i use ?

Q How best to dry it out if Required

Any info would be great

Thanks Gav.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Hi Gavin

The short answer is that I've no idea but I found a tutorial that tells you how to do it
with a different fungus, but as far as I know this might be adaptable to the one
you mentioned.

I'm not sure how different they are as I've never handled either.

Tinder fungus tutorial, using Fomes fomeysomethingorother
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/articles/diy/tinder-fungus-tutorial.html

also Polypore fungi in primitive fire making
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/articles/skills--general/polypore-fungi-in-primative-fire-making.html

But if you search for birch polypore or piptoporus within the main forums you'll find all
sorts of stuff so I hope something there will be the answer to your question :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Polypore is slightly different to prep than funghi with a trama layer. Basically, all I did was slice the fungus into thin strips and thread them onto a piece of cotton with a needle. Once you have a load of them on your cotton, hang them up so that they dry either in the wind or in an airing cupboard. Once they are dry, they will be slightly bendy and yet still white in colour. They burn very hot but very slowly and can be used as a slow match. If you adde saltpetre into the equation, they seem to burn as a fuse. Pretty basic really.

If you want to try making a strop from them, cut to a size that you need and compress between two flat surfaces. Check every now and then or else it will stink like rotten fish! Once it is flat, dry it out and then mount it on a flat board.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Polypore fungus is good for keeping an ember going but it's not good at taking an initial spark IIRC.

See if you can find some Horse's Hoof fungus (tutorial on BcUK somewhere),that is excellent for taking your initial spark to get an ember going.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE