Premature Pigeons Providing a Platter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Corvid
20092011671.jpg

I think this is cat.
28092011674.jpg

It could be possible it was raided/dropped, initially, by a corvid or squirrel and the cat came along after.
28092011675.jpg

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Quite possibly another bird going by the impact and the hole (diamond shaped) you may have spooked it and its flown off, cats generally dont take eggs out of nests even low ones, more likely to take fledgelings, you usually find tree nesting birds get their nests burgled by corvids and the ground dwellers clear them up after they are dropped etc... look at the egg carefully to see if there are any other scratches or marks that may have been made by beak or claw or beak peck marks, also place a coin or another size indicator, that always helps :)

bear

Dec 30, 2004
ireland
Are the pics recent?because its late in the season for egg laying,some birds will have a second or third clutch if unsuccessful in hatching eariler clutchs.the dead leaves on the grond look like leylandii,was there recent pruning done which may have knocked nest out of hedge and predator had a go!also its abit late for the fly(blue bottle i think?).a good indicator of timescale would be if there were any fly larvae present in the remaing yolk,which would put it within the hour.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
It's still summer here, warm as you like and the photos are fresh. Oh and I think it's just a common old flesh fly.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE