Prana hooded wool shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I was in the MEC shop today and saw these Prana shirts. I don't remember seeing Prana in the UK, but it has been a little while.

Anyway,it's called a Bolster. Its a wool shirt (60%). Buttons up the front, but it has a hood with a drawstring, too. Very cosy and very good for camping. I was very taken by it. I have been thinking earnestly about getting another Bison Guide shirt. But I might swing for this, instead

(I spent a good while looking at Fjallraven Pro Vidda and Keb trousers - damned impressive garments they are, but with a muscular price tag).

Here is a link to MEC and the Bolster in case of interest - https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5060-...MI4cCp_uOY3wIVhEJpCh3YegUvEAQYASABEgKB7vD_BwE

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice looking, especially in black. India made, and at second glance I can see it in the design. Out of stock on backorder on some US sites, Alpinetrek have a few but the checked ones look like so many others and don’t stand out from a Tesco similar design. Or pretty much any high street clothes retailer.

I’d get the black in a pinch if I could find one, good looking top.

https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/prana-...IyiXqHq65HGf-Z2F1diCWwsdddDqAXcQaAg6dEALw_wcB

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice enough I guess - but I would go with the 100% wool, British made Bison kit myself...
I know the mill that the wool is woven in (and use them myself on occasion) and have had other kit from Bison and rate it highly.
As I make my own wool shirts I have not used the Bison shirts myself but they look good and others rate them highly too.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd get the Guide shirt

I’ve got two already. They’re pullover shirts so can’t be worn undone. And they’re not hooded. The wool is good, but quite thin, certainly not as substantial as the Prana. Though I’m basing that assumption on nothing more than stock photos of it.

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
I’ve got two already. They’re pullover shirts so can’t be worn undone. And they’re not hooded. The wool is good, but quite thin, certainly not as substantial as the Prana. Though I’m basing that assumption on nothing more than stock photos of it.
We are offering hoods as an option now here
https://bisonbushcraft.co.uk/collec...roducts/custom-guide-and-forester-wool-shirts
We are now in the position to be able to custom make your shirt to suit your design within reasonable parameters. That is to say that we can make it if from patterns and materials we have such as colour combos, extra pockets, hoods, different fabric elbows and shoulders etc.
Plus the forester shirt is an open front design.
Roger

Reactions: Billy-o and Nice65

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none

was talking to the OP but if you want a shirt they make a full length button up version too :D

• 60% wool/35% polyester

and made in India for close to £100 would not be for me

plenty of hooded flannel shirts out there for a fraction of the price

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
We are offering hoods as an option now here
https://bisonbushcraft.co.uk/collec...roducts/custom-guide-and-forester-wool-shirts
We are now in the position to be able to custom make your shirt to suit your design within reasonable parameters. That is to say that we can make it if from patterns and materials we have such as colour combos, extra pockets, hoods, different fabric elbows and shoulders etc.
Plus the forester shirt is an open front design.
Roger

Argh! Such temptation! I've already got a couple but the custom options open up all sorts of really desirable permutations... I'm afraid I'm just going to have to order another one simply because they are utterly brilliant.

Reactions: Roger

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Never liked the idea of a wool shirt myself.

But if i was getting one to use outdoors i don't think i would buy one made in India, everything i've ever had from there has been horrible quality wise, where as stuff from china etc.. seems to be getting better everyday.

Craighoppers sell a basic wool shirt for about £60;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Craghopper...4621293&sr=8-3&keywords=wool+shirt&th=1&psc=1

Cotswold use to sell shirts by a company called Unitied Blue or something like that, i have 2 that i use as warmer dress shirts, about 80% wool and decently smart. Don't hold a crease though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE