Practical/Real world camo/concealment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I hope i'd never have to use a tool as a weapon, it was way too late to move to camp in unfamiliar territory, if i had not had a knife with me i'd have fashioned some sort of club from nature and failing that a good hand sized rock, any of these would have given me the same good nights sleep i got from sleeping with the knife, i am usually quite capable of defending myself weaponless but it never hurts to give yourself an advantage if you think the fecal matter is going to hit the air circulation device, i've been knifed twice in my life (both whilst in a city centre), once arguing over £5 and both times i did not have a knife or any other weapon and i was twice the size of my assailants

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
Has anyone got any links to simple tips/guides for concealment.

When it comes to concealment you should make camp as late as you can and camp well back from any public footpaths, roads etc and try to blend in with the surrounding countryside, when it comes to lighting a fire I would also leave it as late as possible so when it is dark hopefully nobody will see the smoke from a distance as for the fire, I would make reflectors so when the fire dies down a bit hopefully you shouldn't stick out like a sore thumb....so to speak! also keep the fire as small as possible and when you leave in the morning leave early and make sure you exstinguish the fire and clear the area as if you were never there!

bearbait

Id your campsite. Move on elsewhere some distance away. Eat supper, with/out fire. Chill. Return to campsite late. No fire or smoke or noise. Keep all/most of your gear in your pack in case you have to bale out fast. Sleep. Leave early. Eat breakfast elsewhere. (Plus various recommendations from previous respondents.)

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Be aware of the "S"s
Shape
Shine
Shadow
Silhouette
Smoke
Nature abhors not only a vacuum but also a straight line and crisp angles so break up any of those in your camp.
Shiny, glittery bits draw the eye so matt everything down
In this case shadow can be your friend deep shadow can hide you from prying eyes
Pitch so that your camp has a matching background from every aspect - pitches that are on a ridgeline stand out :)
Avoid producing clouds of smoke which may be visible for miles :D
Not forgetting sound and sudden movement

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Are you serious? Sleeping with a blade like that? Would you have used it? Sod that I'd move on. Camping and potential knife fights are just not for me chap.
Rik is right here imho. If the thought of needing a weapon to defend yourself against other people came to mind, i would think i was in the wrong place and would move on.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
If i had been in familiar territory and it was still light that would have been my preference of action too, the dodgy people were not seen until close to dark and after dark and the area was unfamiliar to me for moving camp in the dark, i moved camp at first light the next day, well after my first cuppa to be accurate

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just to go slightly against the flow. My answer would be: don't.

Or rather. don't go over the top. It's very easy to end up with a camp that looks "wrong".

In most areas of the UK, you can roll out a camo bivvi bag on a sleep matt 10ft from a footpath, sleep well and despite the 3 dozen early morning walkers going past just feet from your head, not one will notice you.

The Kent group's recent trip out involved three of us camping less than 50m off a well used bridleway. All weekend we saw people walking past, and despite having a fire, and a functioning camp, noone batted an eyelid. Two of the shelters were British Army DPM tarps, and the 3rd was just an OG tent. I had a Bright YELLOW exped Synmat 7 UL sleeping bag, but you couldn't see it once there was a tree or so in front. The only thing anyone might have seen was my sainsburys carrier bag (now banned by the other members :p) hanging on a tree.

You want just enough subtlety to not scream I AM HERE, without making it look like you're trying to hide.

Oh, as for sleeping with your knife. I sleep with my knife in my sleeping bag, Not because I want to use it to defend myself, but because I want to know where it is at all times. I don't want to wake up to find it's been stolen by a dog that smelt last nights sausages on it. I don't want to wake up and tread on it.

Julia

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
The more unpleasant the terrain, the less likely your position will be accidentally compromised.
Learn to love Hawthorn, Bramble, Gorse, Nettles and swampy or steeply sloping ground.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
That's an urban invisibility device which sadly has the opposite effect in nature

xylaria

A polish army laavu and light shrub and picking a spot far from the madding crowd is normally enough for nice night amongst nature. Under mature shruby hedges is a gap big enough to fit a tent.

However I am not alone in finding an unauthorised nudist beach or dogging or cottaging site. Most people into these wierder hobbies aren't interested in forcing themselves on others. However if you do find yourself in the region of these hobbies my advise os sleep fully dressed. Belted trousers makes sexual assault more difficult. Sleep facing upright with your boots on and your bag packed.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
That's an urban invisibility device which sadly has the opposite effect in nature

I do wonder if you could pitch up a BT man hole covering tent setup like you see on the streets, but in the middle of the south downs way... Bet most people would just walk past it and not disturb you. Sod to carry tho...

Julia

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
I'd say the high-viz bib was a spot on comment. Camo is not just about blending into the background it's also about becoming what people expect to see.
For instance if both the foresrtry workers pictured below set up a full overnight camp with a fire, which one would you expect an average passing member of the public to report to the police? who is out of place, the Health & Safety obsessed employee or the escapee from a fairy tale.
camo1.jpg

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'd say the high-viz bib was a spot on comment. Camo is not just about blending into the background it's also about becoming what people expect to see.
For instance if both the foresrtry workers pictured below set up a full overnight camp with a fire, which one would you expect an average passing member of the public to report to the police? who is out of place, the Health & Safety obsessed employee or the escapee from a fairy tale.
camo1.jpg

there's a lot of truth there, hiding in plain sight an all that.......if you happen to see the fella on the left, ask him where he got that waistcoat lol

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
today I was stunned to see a forester cutting a hedge on a main road wearing camo. I can see the conversation with his relatives sorry I did not see him. Makes me so mad when hi vis is so simple with a yellow bib. sorry sort of the opposite of this thread :-(

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
camo1.jpg

Like the POWs that escaped a prison camp in Germany in WWII by walking out the front gate taking measurements and writing them down as if they were doing an inspection.

Or the thieves that stole a fire truck from the Air Force in the Philippines. They just turned on the lights and siren, and the gate guards stopped traffic for them while they drove out.

Aug 19, 2010
Leeds
I've walked a few long distance paths, camping wild as and when I felt like stopping.

I haven't had a problem, just sitting at the side of the path, cooking up, then when it gets dark rolling out the beeping slag/bivvy bag. I've also used a small one man tent.
Have been woke by farmers and dog walkers early morning, but they seem more interested in what you are doing than trespassing. An explanation on what you are doing and that you got caught short, usually suffices.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE