PowWow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
These are some images that we took at Pow Wow this weekend

Attachments

• Fancy Shawl2.jpg
    Fancy Shawl2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Fancy Dancer2.jpg
    Fancy Dancer2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Entry2.jpg
    Entry2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 19

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
O'siyo Carcajou, Looks like a good PowWow. I managed to miss all that were in our area including the "Honoring the Elders" ceremony, Red Road (Sobriety) PowWow and the "Honoring our Mothers" PowWow. I did make the Bear Awakening Ceremony though.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Saygo RA!!!, We will be going to PowWow a few more times this year, but next year I will be on pension like it or not and we will be on the Pow Wow trail a lot more especialy going to the Six Nations PowWow, ultimately we would like to go to The Gathering of Nations in New Mexico :super: and Crow Fair. You wouldn't believe the trouble I had to post the pictures here, my son helped me but I am not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to computers. Still can't post the avatar from hunt101 yet. I took the pictures from afar and they are grainy but I am getting better. I am making a scrap book of different traditional dancers in their regalia and put it on disk. Next is to get the regalia that I make on disk, another day!! Keep well bro!!
just a thought

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I too would love to go to a Powwow - I know you get touristes ect there but doesn't that effect it? Does it detract from the ceremony and the ritual importance?

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Gary, you would be welcome to PowWow and would certainly enjoy yourself. I think another get together you would enjoy is the Rendezvous. Where people get together and trade, share experiences, learn the crafts and old ways of doing things. It caters to both the Mtn. man and Indian people. Competitions include bow & arrow, atlatl, tomahawk throwing, knife throwing, knapping, beading, cooking, etc. Much trading, buying and selling goes on for items you just won't find anyplace else. Many wear the clothing and use the tools that were worn and used in the old days. Very cool stuff and a lot of fun.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
RA, I have been to many rendevous here in uk - there is a place called 'the land' near southampton, where a old style fort and trading post is built and here people do all the things you mentioned.

I dressed as a mountian man - full buckskins and the raccoon cap in the picture with the knife. Made all my clothing ect myself so a useful learning curve there too.

To become a member you had to pass a survival test which was basically to camp out equipped with only 18th C tools. It was great, build a shelter, light a fire, set your snares and chill! :pack:

An excellent hobby but alas to far to travel regualrly.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Gary, There are different styles of PowWow's last weekend powwow was a competition powwow where every style of dance was judged by qualified people but also in this PowWow there was spiritual parts that were not as competition but as a religious celebration to the Creator, spectators are asked to stand for the Grand Entrance, Flag songs, Honour songs....no pictures are taken in those moments; like when people raise their voices in Hyms and rejoice in church so it is with First Nation People and Pow Wow with the drum, singers and dance. There are also community PowWow's and they are much different than the before mentioned although they still have the religious aspects to them they are also a social "get together" and are a riot of festivities. In both these styles there are dances called intertribals and all attending peoples of whatever background are called on to dance if they wish, certain rules apply but are very basic. Then there are the family or clan PowWow's and they are restricted to a specific group, clan, family and are ritualistic and religious in nature no pictures are ever taken unless the head elders approve for a specific reason. In the first 2 styles vendors are OK'ed by the organizing body and they display, sell their wares ; there are several different venues at these events . Next time in Canada near Algonquian Park maybe you can take in a Pow Wow you like it I'm sure :super:
just a thought

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Gary said:
RA, I have been to many rendevous here in uk - there is a place called 'the land' near southampton, where a old style fort and trading post is built and here people do all the things you mentioned.

I dressed as a mountian man - full buckskins and the raccoon cap in the picture with the knife. Made all my clothing ect myself so a useful learning curve there too.

To become a member you had to pass a survival test which was basically to camp out equipped with only 18th C tools. It was great, build a shelter, light a fire, set your snares and chill! :pack:

An excellent hobby but alas to far to travel regualrly.

Urmmm Gary have you got any more info on this please... I live in Southampton and would definatley be interested learning more.

Cheers

Matt

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
O'siyo Carcajou, Wado for explaining the PowWow in your neck of the woods. They are very much the same here in our area.

Gary, cool on having Rendezvous in the UK. Rumor has it that the French and English traders got together with some Indian bros and had a good time of it sharing stories, tools, methods and one of the French guys said, "Hey, where we goneto rendezvous next year?" Been happening ever since. Except they kinda got rid of the whiskey and added women. Good trade, eh? :rolmao:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Matt, check out www.magpie71.freeserve.co.uk that willbring up the Fort Goerge homepage and tell you more.

Wolverine and RA, thanks guys. I would love to take in a Pow wow at some point but I would feel like an intruder. To my mind it would need to be on an invitation for no sooner would I go wandering into a church or synagog without invite.

Next time I am in Canada I might have to look into a visit though.

Many thanks guys.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
There is a whole world out there i know nothing about. Isn't it great. Something new everyday. I had never heard of the Rendezvous.

Gary could you post some details. I live not too far from Southampton and would like to find out more.

The PowWow looks good too. When i get a chance definately on my to do list.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE