PowerMonkey Extreme Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
With ever increasing mobile network coverage and performance the ability to keep your mobile device charged while out in the field for long periods of time is an important consideration.

As an outdoor professional I have a responsibility to be able to communicate with the outside world from remote locations in the event of an emergency, to summon help, to report in daily in order to help prevent said emergencies and nowadays i can gain access to weather reports and other useful information.

In addition to this, Many of us carry portable GPS receivers (I don't actually but i am aware that many people do) and other electronic devices that require charging during a trip away.

Many other solutions have been offered in the past few years, have tried wind up chargers, which did nothing more than give me arm ache for the chance to turn my phone on and have it turn itself off again immediately afterwards, it was absolute rubbish. I have tried a range of different solar chargers and have found that all of them were unable to efficiently charge a phone battery in normal, real life weather conditions with limited direct sunlight.

That is, until I tried the PowerMonkey Extreme. The requirement this time was for a means to not just charge phones, but also to recharge HD video cameras and an Ipad for filming and editing video during a long expedition and uploading the content via normal 3G mobile networks. This meant that I would need a battery pack capable of delivering 2.1A of current which is much more than a normal solar battery charger can do. A normal Mobile phone battery requires far less, approx 5v where an Ipad or other tablet computer needs around 12v.

I have been using the PowerMonkey Extreme for 6 months now and feel that i have got to know it well enough to review it properly and give you a real world indication of weather or not it lives up to the hype.

It does.

P1040167-1024x576.jpg

The unit is packaged in a very nice and carefully engineered box, one that is reminiscent of a certain fruity phone and computer manufacturer , once opened you are treated to a huge amount for your money. You have a host of cables and adapter connectors to suit all of the leading and common devices out on the market, including the standard micro-B USB plug that most modern devices now support.

P1040168-1024x576.jpg

In addition to this you are given a mains charger to charge the battery more quickly when in a fixed location. Provided with this is an assortment of mains adaptors compatible with many different countries in mind. Not just UK, European and US mains but other too.

The Solar panels and battery pack come in a range of colours and are encased in a rubberised housing to waterproof and protect against shock damage. The Solar panel unfolds to reveal a good sized area, twice the area of the battery pack itself to enhance the amount of light that can be converted to electricity. The solar panel has a heavy duty velcro webbing strap fitted which enables you to attach it to just about anything, the back of a rucksack, the air bags on a canoe, the deck of a kayak, the wind screen of a vehicle for example.

P1040174-1024x576.jpg

The solar panel has a USB socket which is used to connect it to the battery pack. Once connected it begins charging straight away. On the other side of the battery pack you have a DC plug, in which you can insert your desired adaptor for 5v device (phone / ipod) charging and you have another USB port, in which you can attach a 12v device or a 5v device (phone / ipod / ipad / tablet). The battery pack is able to detect which voltage to switch to depending on what type of device is connected which helps prevent using unnecessary power and damaging the devices. Crucially, you can charge a device while the battery pack is charging from the solar panel and also charge two different devices at the same time.

P1040172-1024x576.jpg

The battery itself is a decent one, it has a 9000mAh capacity. To put that into perspective, it can charge an iPhone 6 times before it is depleted and needs recharging. I have been able to charge my dumb Motorola handset, that is a 'non' smart phone up to 12 times.

Those with previous experience of solar charging will probably be thinking "yes, but how long does it take to charge the phone?". To be honest i have never timed it or given it that much thought as it is quite quick, not that much slower than charging from a computer anyway. It is fast enough and a lot faster than the older type solar chargers.

P1040171-1024x576.jpg

How long to charge the battery then? The solar panels use a technology called MPPT or Maximum Power Point Tracker. This enables the panels to work a lot better in low light conditions, grey skies for example and can deliver up to 3 Watts to the battery at peak output. This means that in optimum light conditions, clear sunny skies, it will charge the battery in 15 hours - A full day to completely fill the battery or roughly 2.5 hours to charge an iPhone from direct sunlight which is very impressive. Set it up in the morning and it should be ready by the time you go to bed. In low light conditions, grey skies then it does take longer, but it does charge. I have been using it all winter and even in grey and sometimes black skies, the charge still increases. The key is to adopt an organised approach to charging.

By having a system of always leaving the solar panel out in the sun and charging the battery, by the time it gets dark you will be able to charge up your devices at night time.

Other useful features are that the battery will switch itself off if it is no longer charging. For example if it accidentally switches on in your pack, after 2 minutes it will switch off again to save power. If it finishes charging a device it will shut down instead of burning through it's remaining power.

The clean profile of the battery unit lends itself to reliability and lessens the potential for damage. It has a finger swipe button to turn it on and off. You literally touch it and run your finger one way to turn it on and the other way to turn it off.

It is water proof for up to 30 minutes at a depth of one meter which on a canoe trip is a welcome feature. You can take a swim on a rapid and have time to recover your kit and know that the PowerMonkey Extreme is going to work afterwards, your phone on the other hand might not!

The battery weights 242g and the solar panel weighs 241g, add to that the case and cables and you have a package of just under 1kg. This means that you can afford to carry one in your pack, the benefits vs weight penalty are worth it.

This is the first solar charging system that I have liked and the first that I have considered as a viable solution to keeping a range of mobile devices charged while out in the field teaching or on expeditions.

The whole thing costs £120 which is very good value for money.

I recommend this for anyone that intends to spend more than a day out in the wild, if nothing else it allows you to keep your phone charged which is an important safety consideration these days. It takes very little skill to use, you just need to be able to plug things in and swipe it on and off. No technical knowledge is required.

Outdoor professionals will find this especially useful and it ticks an important box on your risk mitigation forms.

P1040176-1024x576.jpg

Some technical details

Safety Features:
• Short-circuit protection
• Overload protection
• Reverse discharge current protection
• Low voltage protection

Parameters:

• Input: 5V 2.5A
• Output: USB port: 5V 700MAh ad DC port 2.1A, solar panel output 3 watts
• Battery Chemical: Lithium Polymer
• Energy: 33.3 WH
&#8226; Static power waste <50 µA
&#8226; Total weight: 460g

You Can Charge:
iPad/Tablet 1-2 times
iPhone/Smartphone 4-6 times
GPS systems 4-6 times
Mobile Phone 8-12 times

Charges many other portable devices, iPod, iPhone and iPad products using the USB sync/charge cable supplied by Apple. Tips inlcuded for the latest BlackBerry, Garmin, HTC, LG, Motorola, Nintendo, Nokia, Samsung and Sony Ericsson. Mini USB, Micro USB and female USB DC cable for Apple iPod, iPhone and iPad, DC4.0 for PSP, e-readers and some digital cameras. Other tips can be purchased from www.powertraveller.com

www.BushcraftAndSurvival.com

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Nice review with good photos as well! It looks like a nice unit and being waterproof is a big bonus.

I'm just dabbling with solar myself as it happens. It looks like your getting 600 mA @ 5 volts from the panels in full sun to charge the 9 Ah battery in 15 hours? Are the charge times from your experience or what the packaging says it can do? I say this as most solar units I have seen are a little on the optimistic side with regard to outputs and time.

Having the 12 volt output is also a bonus for all the i pad users!

Steve.

Hi ateallthepies's - Yes it delivers 3 Watts in direct sunlight which is enough to charge it in 15 hours, i'm going to go out on a limb here and say that i think it actually performs better than that. However, direct sunlight is not something that i have seen much of recently and it's been charging it from grey skies at a rate of about half a battery per day, which has been more than enough.

It really does live up to the sales pitch, this is a big step forward in solar charging.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I have the normal powermonkey with solar charger, and have run it for about a year or so. In practice, I normally charge the battery unit from the mains, and it will charge my phone several times before dying (so that gives me a week+ of phone usage). It also retains its charge for a goodly while. I have used the solar charger to recharge the battery unit, but its not particularly effective (even in the tropics). Better than nothing though! The Extreme looks like a more functional unit, albeit at twice the price (and twice the size, I'm guessing).

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
That's the trouble with solar chargers, making them with panels big enough to produce a decent current return while also keeping them portable. Most of the tat that is sold cheaply just doesn't perform especially in the UK and leaves people with a sour taste of solar charging.

Getting around 3500 mAh charge into the battery in 15 hours from the solar panels on dull days is quite good. Can you plug an I phone directly into the 5 volt panel usb port or is it best to plug it into the battery output port while it is itself charging from the panels?

Steve.

That's the trouble with solar chargers, making them with panels big enough to produce a decent current return while also keeping them portable. Most of the tat that is sold cheaply just doesn't perform especially in the UK and leaves people with a sour taste of solar charging.

Getting around 3500 mAh charge into the battery in 15 hours from the solar panels on dull days is quite good. Can you plug an I phone directly into the 5 volt panel usb port or is it best to plug it into the battery output port while it is itself charging from the panels?

Steve.

Yes you can plug an iPhone into either outputs.

edit: I think i misunderstood your question, do you mean can you charge an iPhone directly from the solar panels, bypassing the battery?

I do not know, i will test that and post the results when i have them, it's pretty horible out there at the moment and i have just got back from testing another item for review, i'll get to it later on.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE