Power banks and external mobile phone batteries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
I don't know if this has been talked about previously but I am looking for a fairly compact, portable charger for my android phone.
There are dozens of them on eBay each claiming to be the best etc.
However, I am going on a 3 day canoeing trip soon and would like to have the capability of recharging my phone while I am out and about.
Has anyone got any personal recommendations please ?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Get an Anker. I have the 10k mah version which will charge my s8 three times. Its compact and light and doesn't break the bank at £20. I've had mine for just over a year and no issues to report.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I got one of these
FosPower PowerActive 10200 mAh Power Bank - 2.1A USB Output [Water/Shock/Dust Proof] Rugged Heavy Duty Portable External Battery Charger for iPhone/iPad, Android Smartphones, Tablets & MP3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K8DUKH2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EX2LzbF19K7HB
I've never actually fully charged my phone with it as I prefer too just keep it topped up.i tend too keep my phone on flight mode when out and about and just use it too take pics and read at night.having said that it holds plenty of charge an is very robust.it holds its charge well.ive fully charged it in the past then not used it for a few weeks.when I've come too charge it up again to take out its still been fully charged. ive had a couple of cheaper power banks in the past that have been a total waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Anker all the way. I've four of theirs ranging from 5000 to 22000+ mAh and when I had an issue with one, they instantly replaced it, no questions asked.

If your phone supports it, I'd suggest going for a pack with quick charge capabilities (they differ for iPhone, Samsung and others) so check whether yours is compatible.

Be careful not to exceed any airline's max capacity though, as some limit the batteries allowed to ~27000 mAh

Edit: there are so many dodgy packs out there that it pays to go for a name and buy from a legit source. An iffy battery pack could ruin more things than just the device connected to it!

Last edited:

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
+1 for Anker, 100%

We have 3 or 4 of these portable power banks knocking around, and the 20000mAh Anker one is by far the best....a charge lasts for much longer than the other 20000mAh ones we have.

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dnarcher

Jul 21, 2016
Sheffield
I bought an Anker of amazon which was DOA.
I reported it to amazon, Anker asked for a serial code and had a new one to me the next day (from 6.30pm!). Told me not to worry about returning the ther one.
That's what you call customer service.
Darren

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
If you use 18650 for your torches etc .. then Nitecore do a single charger that doubles as a usb charger. I have one with five batteries and can power tons of stuff including another aa charger ! Very handy and only £20.

I bought an Aldi 'Rugged Powerbank' 5200mAh - I think it was about £10 and it will charge my iPhone three times. Once the phone is charged, the powerbank switches off automatically, so I'm happy to leave it plugged in whilst I sleep. It also has an LED torch which is ok for personal space use (or for helping me find my proper torch on one of the many occasions that I mislay it).

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
As the two of us are always needing a charge for Kindles, phones, tablets, vapes, I've read enough about Anker to buy a 10,000 and 13,000MaH. I'll still use the Powergen 2x18650 to top the phone in an emergency, but it'll be handy to have something a bit beefier to charge Bluetooth speakers etc on longer camps.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Turing the phone off has got to be the simplest answer.
But if it has to be on then how about a hand cranked dynamo charger?

The Unicom 'Power-beam' is robust though tad bulky but you get a pretty powerful rechargeable light with a USB socket for charging devices.
£7 in Homebase

Bought one a few years back from Wilko and it's still going strong.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Anker all the way - you pay for reliability.

I've just bought a new phone, after my Nexus 5 died. The new phone seems to last more than a day - went away for a weekend and didn't bother charging it until sun night. Was on 80% charge when I left on Fri and dropped to about 17% by 5pm on Sun. Hadn't been using it a great deal, mostly for taking photos and some browsing. It had been on all weekend though.

Sony xperia xz

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
I've had a couple of 10,000mA Anker chargers that I use for muiltiple things for years now. Never let me down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE