Potjie South African Cook Pots/Cauldrons with lid - developed from Dutch Ove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Mad Dave was discussing the Potjie South African Cook Pots/Cauldrons at the Moot whilst sat around the NC fire.

I thought I'd contact the main supplier and see if we couldn't get a group buy deal. The are awesome campfire pots.

Here are the usual retail prices:

http://www.southafricanshop.co.uk/store/show_category/2189

A group buy would come in at:

Below: 3 legged Potjie
Size Volume Weight Cost
1/2- 1.2L 2.7kg £31
3/4- 2.7L 3.4kg £32 Checked
1- 3.0L 5.2kg £43
2- 6.0L 8.8kg £51
3- 7.8L 11.4kg £59
4- 9.3L 13.2kg £83
6- 13.5L 20.3kg £104

Below: Platpotjie - no legs - use with trivet, direct, grill, non-direct side cooking, hang from tripod etc. - 4 sizes below

1/2- 1.7L 2.7kg £30
1- 4.0L 5.2kg £40
2- 6.0L 8.8kg £53
3- 7.8L 9.0kg £61

Size 2 and 3 are the most popular Potjie and Platpotjie size.

They are cast iron (and have three legs - Potjie), handle and a lid as seen in the pics in the link.

We would need a minimum of ten ordered. BACs is preferred, Paypal fees are paid by buyer. (I understand the rule on PP fees was to stop people surprise adding them after sale, no surprise here! - Sandbag47 has discussed this with mods. PM if an issue)

If you want it posted then a courier will probably cost £8. If there is a group of 5 of you close to each other then postage may well be free if willing to have a single delivery address. If you live near me or somewhere I am going then you can collect. I'm based in Frome, travel up the M3 to Bisley, have friends in Swindon, Wisbech and Derby, travel down to Weymouth, Bristol, Worksop.

Last edited:

Flannelfoot

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2012
South-west
Just a little heads up for anyone interested: I found the tripod legs to be really quite fragile on these - If you're travelling with them in the back of your vehicle you need to be really careful they don't snap off.

We switched to the flat bottomed 'Platpotjie' style and they have been really great for us. Ours saw daily baking of bread, stewing and roasting on campfires for close to 10 months and they still look brand new.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Just a little heads up for anyone interested: I found the tripod legs to be really quite fragile on these - If you're travelling with them in the back of your vehicle you need to be really careful they don't snap off.

We switched to the flat bottomed 'Platpotjie' style and they have been really great for us. Ours saw daily baking of bread, stewing and roasting on campfires for close to 10 months and they still look brand new.

Thanks for the info. Flannelfoot. You are obviously taken with them. Much of our Bushy equipment isn't robust enough to take a good smack, best to treat it like pot rather than rock. The advantage of the legs is that it is easy to place right where you want it. If necessary the legs are removable with a hammer or grinder! ;) Many pots get hung, but the legs provide more flexibility and convenience.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
The website does not list the flat bottoms in the sizes you list :) nearest match is

your list says : Platpotjie - no legs ..... 1- 4.0L 5.2kg £40
the website says : Plus Plat Potjie Pot (without legs) Number 1 size : holds 3.0 litres

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
The website does not list the flat bottoms in the sizes you list :) nearest match is

your list says : Platpotjie - no legs ..... 1- 4.0L 5.2kg £40
the website says : Plus Plat Potjie Pot (without legs) Number 1 size : holds 3.0 litres

Yup, this site lists it as 3.0L but the supplier is providing a different brand 'BESTDUTY' and maintains it is 4.0L as does another site selling the same brand. Well spotted though.

Ta, Phil

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I love mine, my mate got me a best duty one (I don't know what size but its fed 8) 5 years ago for wedding present. looks as good as new. stews, curries, chillies, have yet to bake in it but I tend to use skillet and just do biscuits or bannock when camping. we either hang it off a road pin tripod or stand it in the embers thanks to the legs.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Very expensive in the UK for what is almost an 'everyday' pot in the RSA et al :(

Yep but then we don't cook everyday with cast iron over open fires in this Country, any cast iron in this Country is expensive compared with the Third World. The cost of living is way cheaper in the RSA but I wouldn't want to live there!

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I love mine, my mate got me a best duty one (I don't know what size but its fed 8) 5 years ago for wedding present. looks as good as new. stews, curries, chillies, have yet to bake in it but I tend to use skillet and just do biscuits or bannock when camping. we either hang it off a road pin tripod or stand it in the embers thanks to the legs.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Hmm just ran out of badger jerky I'm thinking fenna jerky could catch on and I'm pretty sure your fairly close on the species table I'm bidding £21 :yuck:

No need, there is fresh badger road kill at the bottom of the hill coming into Frome on the B3092! He failed to look both ways and he took out my intercooler and under engine cover, yeah, thanks for that! ££££££££££ That trip to the Wilderness Gathering wasn't cheap!!

The thought of grabbing him for jerky did cross my mind but I was more concerned with limping the car back home and Badjerky tastes like rubber liver anyway! I prefer to nibble on something Foxy!! :naughty: I suppose Brock could have made a Potjie stew. Ah, finally back on topic!

Phil

Last edited:

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
Hmm just ran out of badger jerky I'm thinking fenna jerky could catch on and I'm pretty sure your fairly close on the species table I'm bidding £21 :yuck:

Nah Mr. Fenna is definitely some kind of bear and prime Fenna meat is too good to waste on jerky. I'd say a nice roast. I'm told you can use the whole Fenna if you're careful.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Nah Mr. Fenna is definitely some kind of bear and prime Fenna meat is too good to waste on jerky. I'd say a nice roast. I'm told you can use the whole Fenna if you're careful.

Are you saying you wouldn't mind a bear Fenna whole roast? I'm traumatized. :yikes: Leave the wildlife alone. :nofeed:

Back to the Potjies please. :jacked:

Chef

Fae Eyes

Mar 2, 2006
Thaxted
Awe you're no fun. And to think that I've stopped forum lurking to stay in touch with spoil sports such as you Chef!

On the Potjies front I'd consider one of the smaller legged ones. My billi lost its bits and I was thinking about a dutch...

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Mad Dave was discussing the Potjie South African Cook Pots/Cauldrons at the Moot whilst sat around the NC fire.

I thought I'd contact the main supplier and see if we couldn't get a group buy deal. These are awesome campfire pots.

Here are the usual retail prices:

http://www.southafricanshop.co.uk/store/show_category/2189

A group buy would come in at:

Below: 3 legged Potjie
Size Volume Weight Cost
1/2- 1.2L 2.7kg £31
3/4- 2.7L 3.4kg £32 Checked
1- 3.0L 5.2kg £43
2- 6.0L 8.8kg £51
3- 7.8L 11.4kg £59
4- 9.3L 13.2kg £83
6- 13.5L 20.3kg £104

Below: Platpotjie - no legs - use with trivet, direct, grill, non-direct side cooking, hang from tripod etc. - 4 sizes below

1/2- 1.7L 2.7kg £30
1- 4.0L 5.2kg £40
2- 6.0L 8.8kg £53
3- 7.8L 9.0kg £61

Size 2 and 3 are the most popular Potjie and Platpotjie size.

They are cast iron (and have three legs - Potjie), handle and a lid as seen in the pics in the link.

We would need a minimum of ten ordered. BACs is preferred, Paypal fees are paid by buyer. (I understand the rule on PP fees was to stop people surprise adding them after sale, no surprise here! - Sandbag47 has discussed this with mods. PM if an issue)

If you want it posted then a courier will probably cost £8. If there is a group of 5 of you close to each other then postage may well be free if willing to have a single delivery address. If you live near me or somewhere I am going then you can collect. I'm based in Frome, travel up the M3 to Bisley, have friends in Swindon, Wisbech and Derby, travel down to Weymouth, Bristol, Worksop.

1. Fae Eyes 3/4 Potjie?

Last edited:

Buadhach

Jun 2, 2015
England
Hi Folks,
June 2015 I bought a platpotjie from The South African Shop. Delivery was quick, item was well packed and the price was very good indeed. I guess that's because these "Jumbo" brand pots come oiled/waxed against rust but not cured: no problem if you like good prices and the ritual of curing your own pots. The bail handle is fashioned from slightly thinner wire than seen on "Best Duty" brand but it still does the job. They also do trad legged potjies and decidedly untrad enamelled versions. Also biltong. I have no financial tie-in with this outfit and merely write as a satisfied customer.
URL:- https://www.southafricanshop.co.uk/store/show_category/2189

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE