Potassium Permangenate

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
Does anyone know where to get hold of any potassium permangenate? I haven't had to buy any for a while and am having trouble sourcing it in crystal form. Have tried all the chemists in my area and no luck. Seems it is an ingredient for bomb making and no one is allowed to have it any more!

WilliamEd

Sep 3, 2007
Yorkshire
What are you wanting to use it for?? You can buy a PP solution from aquatic centre's as it is great for treating ponds etc. However in a crystal form I believe it is only available from doctors who prescribe it for fungal infections, most commonly severe athletes foot.

FYI It is still widely available in the US

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
Want to use it for the all usual, water treatment, antiseptic, anti fungal, and fire lighting. Thanks for the info. Will keep trying.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi
I recently bought some in crystal form from my local aquatic centre they use it to treat Koi carp, so your local koi carp dealer might be worth a try

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Does anyone know where to get hold of any potassium permangenate? I haven't had to buy any for a while and am having trouble sourcing it in crystal form. Have tried all the chemists in my area and no luck. Seems it is an ingredient for bomb making and no one is allowed to have it any more!

I had no trouble buying it in Boots (expensive) and a local high-street chemist. This was in Derby about 1yr ago. I even bought glycerine at the same time and no one batted an eyelid. Things could have changed since then, I suppose.

Tanning leather, water-purification, etc...

Good luck,

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Hi
I recently bought some in crystal form from my local aquatic centre they use it to treat Koi carp, so your local koi carp dealer might be worth a try

Yup Aquatics shops still stock it although the govt is trying to get it banned at the moment because of it's incendiary properties:rolleyes: Thats why a lot of chemists no longer stock it.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I managed to find somewhere that can supply bags up to 25Kg, but the catch was...

Dear Mr X, (always wanted to be that )
We can provide a very pure Potassium Permanganate (min 99%) for £36.85.
Price includes delivery within mainland UK.

Please note, you will need to register with the home office to purchase this chemical in the UK.
This is due to the fact that it can be used in both the manufacture of illegal drugs & explosives

You would need register with the Home office at the following address:

Drugs branch (Licensing Section)
Home Office
6th Floor Peel Building
2 Marsham St
London
SW1P 4DF

Other Info:
http://drugs.homeoffice.gov.uk/drugs-la ... sor-forms/

Once we have your registration number, we would be able to provide you with what you need.
Thank you for your enquiry,

Mike Gould

LS

Hi Spaniel Man.
I know I've come into this a bit late, but for future reference search for 'Gran's Remedy Original for smelly feet and footwear'. This is basically a smallish pot of Potassium permanganate.
Hope this helps.
PM me if you need a stockist and I can point you in the right direction.
ATB
Luke.

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Got mine in Boots. I use it to treat athlete's foot for which is the best thing available, even if it does leave my feet a funny colour. For those who don't know how, dissolve a pinch in a bowl of warm water and soak your tootsies in it.

I didn't know you could use it for firelighting. How so?

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Add glycerine to it to cause ignition. Although adding virtually any fuel to permanagate and friction will cause ignition, a fuel and a few drops of sulphuric acid (car battery) would do it.

In pyrotechnics, compounds involving it are known as "death mixes" for obvious reasons, very little friction is needed to detonate plenty of mixtures.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Got mine in Boots. I use it to treat athlete's foot for which is the best thing available, even if it does leave my feet a funny colour. For those who don't know how, dissolve a pinch in a bowl of warm water and soak your tootsies in it.

Potassium Permanganate is absorbed through the skin, and CAN have quite severe repercussions.....
Do a search, don't take my word for it......:tapedshut

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Glycerine as in the stuff you can buy in bottles from Boots which treats coughs and sore throats and can also be used to make cake icing?

Does the government know that Boots is a secret bomb making base?

madelinew

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
Isle of Wight
Potassium Permanganate is absorbed through the skin, and CAN have quite severe repercussions.....
Do a search, don't take my word for it......:tapedshut

Oh dear! It's well known for it's antiseptic properties though! I use it in a very very dilute solution. A tiny pinch lifted from the pot with a stick dropped into a couple of inches of water.

Hi Madelinew, you can also use anti-freeze to get a reaction.
A safer way I was taught to do this was to make a birds nest shape out of a piece of newspaper, add a little of each ingredient and then fold the sides in on themselves. PUT BUNDLE EITHER IN A SAFE AREA (if practising) or under your kindling pile and....hay presto, FIRE!
Please be careful using this method.

ATB

Luke.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE