Potassium Permangenate

markw

Forager
Jul 26, 2005
Leicestershire
Hello all,

Does any know the correct quantities of Potassium P to use when using to purify water, say 1 litre. Also the quantities for use as a antiseptic? Also is it easily ignited?

Thanks

Mark

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
markw said:
Hello all,

Does any know the correct quantities of Potassium P to use when using to purify water, say 1 litre. Also the quantities for use as a antiseptic? Also is it easily ignited?

Thanks

Mark

Lofty says to "add to water and mix until water becomes bright pink to sterilise it, deeper pink to make an antiseptic and to a full red to treat fungal disease such as athlete's foot."

Saying that, it's supposedly not the best thing to be drinking these days!!!

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
You only need tiny amounts to colour water deeply. Also it stains your hands and alot of things it comes into contact with, so be careful.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
When I was first putting together my pocket survival tin I had a look at the potassium permangenate bit in Lofty's book and decided against it. The military's iodine tablets have always looked like a better alternative to me, especially for a pocket kit.

My two cents.

Adam

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i keep a vial in my firelighting kit (along with some glycol.) it's impressive when it works, but i find it's a little temperamental.
handy to have, but i'd hate to have to rely on it.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Makers of fine fiddle-back maple rifle stocks have been known to use it in their
attempts to "bring out the grain". This and scorching with a blow torch - the later proberly the better if you have the nerve and a steady hand!

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
There was an article by a chemist in SWAT magazine in the eighties about Potassium Permangernate. The view was that it is a very ineffective steriliser - a small amount of organic matter in the water could render it ineffective - I wouldn't trust it!

Mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
mark wood said:
There was an article by a chemist in SWAT magazine in the eighties about Potassium Permangernate. The view was that it is a very ineffective steriliser - a small amount of organic matter in the water could render it ineffective - I wouldn't trust it!

Mark

I'm not fond of it myself, but I don't see how the organic matter works like that; it's sold to sterilise water butts in gardens.........which if they're anything like mine have everything from leaf litter to newts in them :eek: ....why I don't sterilize them. I know most are usually from roof run off, but that's full of gunk too.
Is the no organic matter peraps why the Millbank bags are used too?

Cheers,
Toddy

Fred

Apr 29, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hello all

This chemical is toxic - good for external use when diluted for athlete's foot, good for signalling in snow / on water - on the calm sea can be seen from way off from the air, but only until it disperses...

Best use iodine (in lightproof container!) then vitamin C (ascorbic acid) for neutralising in a different container (or just put up with the taste...) but always read the label.

Lofty's books are for SURVIVAL situations - and I'd rather not risk it myself! A bit like those books that say a couple of drops of bleach do the trick...er, no thanks...

Oh yes - 8 to 1 ratio of PP to sugar works nice if you crush it between two stones, and a drop of glycerine can get that lovely lilac flame in a minute or so.

But leave the chemical sterilising to tried & tested means - iodine - or take it with you.

My outlook is that if we can use the laboratory *outside* of the body first, then use it! Otherwise, good luck!

Fred

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Fred said:
Hello all

Hi!!

Fred said:
.... A bit like those books that say a couple of drops of bleach do the trick...er, no thanks...

Well..... the biggest reason for life expectancy increase in the modern world is due to.... chlorinated water. Bleach that is... My dad's water comes off the mountains from the resevoir and is piped untreated into massive cisternas above his house. Once the calculations were done, the correct amount of straightforward household bleach is poured in, to the approx ratio of 1-2 drops per litre. They're still alive after 2.5 years, and in fact much better health than when they lived here. I still wouldn't like to try the potassium permangenate though. I'm going to stop here though as I always descend in to a pyrotechnic discussion and promptly get told off for my schoolboy firebug ways... ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Spacemonkey said:
Double post 'cos this 'effing thing is playing silly beggars...

That's other words for "Spam Post"!! ;)

I get that too though, I use a wireless connection and if someone breathes out too hard I lose the connection!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE