potassium fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
MODERATORS ANNOUNCMENT

This thread appears to be slowly changing from the discussion of valid chemical fire lighting techniques, into the realms of improvised explosives.

Chlorates and nitrates of sodium or potassium are extremely dangerous.

Chlorates of sodium/potassium for example do not burn, they detonate!!!! they are sensitive to the slightest friction or knock and explode without the need to be contained.

Attempting to light these substances by friction or ignition will most likely result in the loss of your fingers.

FOR THE SAFTEY OF OUR MEMBERS, NO FUTHER DISCUSSION ABOUT SUCH CHEMICALS BEING USED IN FIRELIGHTING WILL BE TOLERATED

the original question was:

Does any one know what ratios of potassium permanganate and glycerine are needed to start a fire, any other info on this would be appreciated.

J

Jester

Hi, How do you store it if you want to put sone in your survival kit?
How much should you put in there?
Jester

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Graham_S said:
i find that a pile of pp the size of a 10p coin with 1/2 a teaspoon of anti-freeze works well.

I've seen Graham_S in action with this method of fire lighting and it is very impressive.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Cut a notch in a piece of wood and add a small amount of PP and sugar you don't have to be exact 50/50 will do . Then hand drill a pointed stick into the notch as if you were using a screw driver forwards and backwards. As soon as it catches ,which it will do very easily add your tinder. Watch out though as the mixture spits when it catches.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
PP by itself is inert. I keep mine in a 35mm film canister. Glycerine or sugar stoe in a similar way.

Keep them seperate in your pack and you'll have no problems.

Incidently as mentioned earlier in the thread, PP can be used as a wash for fungul problems also as an anticeptic wash for wounds and also as a water purification system.

Key thing to remember is quantity;

water colour should be pale pink for purification
water colour for wound wash is purple

also note that PP can be an irritant

SMARTY

Nomad
May 4, 2005
UAE
www.survivalwisdom.com
Hey Moduser,
How long is the contact time for PP in water to make it safe to drink. Does it destroy all bacteria and virus's. ? We used to teach it at Footsteps but there is a lot of conflicting info on it. Hopefully you can shed some informed light on the subject.
Cheers Smarty :confused:

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Hi Smarty,

I leave it in the water for 10 minutes.

I know that PP kills vibrio cholera but I'm not sure of it's effect on other pathogens.

Hope that helps

As an aside, PP has been shown to be toxic to birds and to aquatic invertebrates so care should be taken when cleaning out water bottles etc.

Moduser

Regarding other uses - makes a good signal marker on snow :D

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
We discovered when we were younger that if you put PP in the bath and then lie in it you get a fake tan. Always came out a bit patchy though :rolleyes:

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I've heard a weak solution is good for washing fruit & veg Etc. as well, never tried it though.

Dad threw mine down the toilet when I was a kid after my brother severely burnt his hand with a pp/magnesium mixture and a match - the toilet water was purple for days!

Got it from Boots btw - was 20+ years ago mind!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Marts said:
When we were younger we used to put it in a bath of water and lie in the bath - gives you a fake tan. Although I remember it being a bit blotchy :rolleyes:

Marts said:
We discovered when we were younger that if you put PP in the bath and then lie in it you get a fake tan. Always came out a bit patchy though :rolleyes:

We know! :lmao:

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Good isn't it?? ;)

I think it is a valid tecnique to know as you might have some in a first aid kit, and need to light a fire without any conventional lighters, say in a vehicle survival situation. It's good to carry as it has multiple uses as well, such as the disinfectant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE