Poste Restante UK

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
For your info folks, a copy of a royal mail response. Thats my clean kit sorted!
-------------------------------------
Thank you for your email.

I will copy instructions of how to use this service, hopefully they will answer all your questions.

How does the service work?

If you're travelling in the UK, you can collect mail addressed to you at any Post Office. You simply need to address it as POSTE RESTANTE mail. You can only use the Poste Restante service for up to three months in any one UK town (except in exceptional circumstances). The service is specifically for people who are travelling - we may withdraw the UK service is we think it's being abused (ie if the addressee has a fixed address in the area).

How does the mail need to be addressed?

Mail for UK destinations needs to show the full and correct name of the addressee (and if they're at sea, the name of the ship or yacht); and 'POSTE RESTANTE' or 'TO BE CALLED FOR', followed by 'POST OFFICE' and the full address of where it is to be held. If the mail is fully addressed, it will go to that specific Post Office. If it's only addressed to a town name (eg 'POSTE RESTANTE, LONDON'), it will go to a Post Office we choose. Items to be collected abroad need to show the name of the addressee, exactly as it appears on their passport - eg 'EDWARD ALAN SMITH', not 'EDDIE SMITH'.

How much does it cost?

It's free of charge in the UK.

Where can I collect mail

At any Post Office in the UK and at main Post Offices in large towns overseas. To find the most convenient UK Post Office address for a specific location, call Post Office Counters on 0845 722 3344.
The Poste Restante service is subject to operational capability.

What mail can I collect

Letters sent to you while you're travelling, including Recorded items. You can receive Special Delivery items at a Poste Restante address.

How long will you keep mail for me?
We hold mail posted inside the UK to another UK destination, including Recorded items, for up to two weeks. We hold mail posted abroad to UK destinations for up to one month. We hold mail for someone at sea for up to two months

When can I collect my mail?
During the normal opening hours of the Post Office branch.

Do I need to show ID when I collect my mail?

If you're collecting Poste Restante mail in the UK, you may need to show proof of identity.

Can someone else collect my mail for me

Yes. If you want someone to collect mail for you from a UK Post Office, they'll need to bring written permission from you, and proof of both their identity and yours.
What happens to my mail if I don't collect it

We return uncollected mail to the sender. If we can't see a return address, we treat the mail as undeliverable. In the UK, we return uncollected mail after two weeks. However, the sender can ask for the uncollected item to be returned sooner - by requesting this on the envelope.

Can Special Delivery items be sent to a Poste Restante address

Yes.

-----------------------

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE