Possibly the oldest tree in Deutschland maybe Europe.

keyser Soze

Jun 23, 2008
germany
Hi i recently found this tree in a small town in niedersachen called bergen and i could not believe the size of this beautiful specimen it is a oak tree and as you can see by the pictures below.

It has a small badge on the front of the trunk signifing its a protected tree and some of the large branches are stroped to the trunk so they dont spilt.

i was hoping someone on here could maybe tell me a rough age of this tree.

Photo-0081-1.jpg

Photo-0079.jpg

Photo-0080.jpg

keyser.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
thats a massive oak got to be near to 800 years old at least.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thats got to be at least 7ft wide at the base, I've seen some yew trees ones that size and Beech, never Oak that big.

Traper

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Poland
Check this one out...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartek_(oak) [url/] ...measures 13.5 metres in girth at its base...

keyser Soze

Jun 23, 2008
germany
wow traper thats a beauty very impressive, the current oldest tree in deutschland is a Large-leaved linden (Tilia platyphyllos) situated in Schenklengsfeld south Deutschland at a grand old age of 1,120 years old. But i think this old oak is older.

At the weekend i will measure the circumference of the tree and post it on here.

keyser.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Theres also the Kings Oak or Royal Oak (Kongeegen) in Denmark, estimated to be around 1600 years old. It have been dying for quite a few years now, but is still alive.
gallery.asp

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
OK I am going against the flow here and guessing max 350 years old for the first oak tree.

Why do I think its not older? Well it is a large free grown tree that has never been pollarded, that means it has always had a large crown with no competition around for light or nutrient, such trees grow to great size very quickly.

I once did tree surgery on such a tree at Hatfield Forrest which Oliver Rackham considered would soon be the largest (not oldest) in Britain and yet we knew from where it grew that it was only 300 years old. The oldest trees are not normally the biggest.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
OK I am going against the flow here and guessing max 350 years old for the first oak tree.

Why do I think its not older? Well it is a large free grown tree that has never been pollarded, that means it has always had a large crown with no competition around for light or nutrient, such trees grow to great size very quickly.

I once did tree surgery on such a tree at Hatfield Forrest which Oliver Rackham considered would soon be the largest (not oldest) in Britain and yet we knew from where it grew that it was only 300 years old. The oldest trees are not normally the biggest.

That's really interesting, i thought that age and size were directly related, i hadn't thought about the competition thing, there's a beautiful old beech pollard in a woodland where i volunteer it's huge, easily 8 feet across the trunk, it must be ancient

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
T'is only a rough guide, I know, but if you measure the girth and reckon on 1 inch or 2.5 centimeters per year it will give you a clue. Maybe add a tad because it's an oak.

You could always cut it down and count the rings!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
That's really interesting, i thought that age and size were directly related, i hadn't thought about the competition thing, there's a beautiful old beech pollard in a woodland where i volunteer it's huge, easily 8 feet across the trunk, it must be ancient

Age and girth are of course related, a tree has to cover its entire surface with at least one layer of new cells each year, if it can't it starts dying back. The amount of new wood varies enormously though depending on many factors the growth rings can be anything from 2 to the inch to 30 to the inch, more if it has a full crown and little root competition on fertile soil, less if it has a small crown, harsh climate or thin soil. I once cut down 2 ash trees both 10" diameter growing 100 feet from each other, one was less than 30 years old the other over 120.

There is a limit to how big the crown of a tree can grow and your beech and this oak are probably there so each year they are trying to cover a larger and larger area with new growth but from the same surface area of leaves producing nutrient, eventually it can't be done, the oak will simply die back, some of the ends of the branches will die and new growth will start from the trunk or branches. Some trees like beech do not put out new epicormic growth like this so when they reach that crisis stage they die, that is why you don't get many really old beech. (big but not really old)

The thing that slows growth down and prolongs a trees life most is what is called pollarding, this was common practice in the UK up to the 17th century, cut the top off the tree and you get a nice crop of firewood and leaves for your livestock but if it is done at head height the tree will regrow above the grazing animals below. This was done every 20 years or so and meant the trees always had very tiny crowns and grow very slowly thus achieving great age.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE