Pop up tent pole repair! Help!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I have a pop up tent which uses plastic wire type stuff to give it rigidity.

The plastic wire has snapped. I is about 3mm diameter so I am after a piece of steel pipe perhaps, about 40mm long to sleeve the break.

Anyone know where I could get the tube to make the sleeve? Or are there better ways to fix this?

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I had this problem with a Vango dart, i tried repairing the pole with a bit of tubing and epoxy resin but i found that when you put the tent away, the pole twists and breaks the glue. I tried putting a self tapper through each end of the tube but it just snapped the pole again when i put the tent away.

Vango have very kindly offered to replace the tent, great service from them.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
A few months ago I wombled a 4 man pop-up tent that had a broken pole, the thinner of the 2. I trimmed the ends and sleeved it with a metal tube. getting both ends of the fibreglass pole in the tube was a struggle as it was a very tight fit to get the poles far enough apart to get the sleeve on.
You need to put a stop point in the middle of the metal sleeve (they usually have a punched mark) to avoid the thing just sliding along the poles.I glued mine aswell.
I have used the tent since and 3 of us sat on it to fold it up with no problems.
Metal (alloy?) poles can be found in B&Q in the same rack as solid rods and angle edge stuff. Or pinch one off old fibreglass tent poles, get them off with a heat gun to soften the glue.
Good luck

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Thanks for the link but there is nothing small enough :(

I will have a go at the sheath idea - thanks for B&Q suggestion. I am concerned however that when I sleeve the pole it will make it too rigid so then when I fold the tent up it will just snap again at either end of the sleeve...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD3cQ77Sg5U

That's the tent - take a look at the short film and you will see why I am concerned as it has to be massive bendy!!

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Can you get the plastic wire out of the tent?

I'm thinking rather than sleeving the break, use a splint from a similar material.

Poundland etc sell pop up laundry baskets which have a highly flexible sprung steel frame.

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/regular-pop-up-laundry-hamper-179509

You could just tape it on or get some heat-shrink stuff meant for wiring looms etc and melt in on, sealing the sharp edges of the steel out of harms way.

You can buy heat-shrink from Maplins or just take it to an auto electrician.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/heat-shrinkable-sleeving-301

0191433_l.jpg2233-heat-shrink-wrapped.jpg

Might be worth a go ?:dunno:

Good luck :)

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
Cheapo baskets! I will totally check out poundland as the splint sounds like the best idea! I think I will have to use some sort of nylon cord to secure it and then cover it in the electrical shrink stuff you suggested to hold it all together but totally a good idea :)

Thanks very much to all who have helped! Catoma in the US have said it'll be $18 for a new pole which isn't the end of the world but then it's like another $26 to post it!

Rich83

Sep 6, 2012
Selsey, West Sussex
I popped into the village yesterday and went to the local fishing shop and asked if they had any old broken rods - the lovely lady there gave me the hook end of a rod which looks to be the perfect size and flexibility to cut a bit off and fix it :) I'll let you know if it works as this could work for other people too! And it was free!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE