Pop can stoves

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Inspired at Daves place....Im collecting cans of varying sizes and have found some heatproof putty...

...But no idea how to make them...and ive not been able to find a tutorial!

any suggestions?

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
HI
If you follow the instructions you dont need heat proof putty and glues
I have a problem stretching the bottom one to fit the top one inside so put the base of the top can in the other way up and it works ok
I will add a picture later
Mick

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I have a problem stretching the bottom one to fit the top one inside so put the base of the top can in the other way up and it works ok

What I've done in the past is to use a full, unopened can of the same type to open out the bottom section. Works a treat, giving a really good, tight fit.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
The trick with stretching cans, is to make sure you don't cut any holes in the can to be stretched, as you want the air trapped to help spring the full can back out. Another tip, is to try and keep any horizontal cuts around the can as clean as possible, to keep the edge as smooth as possible and non-stretched. For the can going into the other, get some long nosed pliers and slight crimp the edge with a twisting motion, but be careful not to fold or dent the metal, as this will often lead to a split when you eventually add even preasure.to force the two together.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I thought about making a pop can stove but then decided to make something different.

Get one of those round tins that candles come in with a lid, get another lid. punch four holes in both lids, put then top to top and secure with grommets. get two peices of wick and poke one through two holes and the other through the other holes, put alchohol in the tin and put the lid on. The purpose of the lids stuck to each other is you can then use chicken wire of something similar to make a small stand that fits inside the upside down lid.

This is not my idea, I found it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gne8jKwqtbw and watch the video to see it in action, two cups of water from room temp took mins 57 seconds to boil in a canteen cup. Great video.

EDIT: I also recommend you check out his other videos to see how exactly he made it, and for a few other stove ideas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE