Pop Can Stove Questions

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I quite fancy making one of these and have a pack of 6 Doctor Pepper on the way to help me get started this week. I have looked around and seen two designs and just wondering which one people think is the better?

With and inner wall or without

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-features/make-your-own-meths-burner/6227.html

http://ygingras.net/b/2007/6/a-better-soda-can-stove

Also from looking on different sites at different tutorials some recommend the use of insulation in where the fuel will be to soak it up. Do people recommend this? What advantages will it give?

RM27

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 17, 2010
UK
Look up Penny stove, they are even more simple to make and from what i can gather more efficant at burning fuel.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
The penny stove (from what Ive seen) seems to be the type without the middle internal wall, nice and simple and the penny will auto release if the pressure gets too much

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Well I made my first penny stove although it was a bit rough and ready I just couldnt wait to try it, Ive been downstairs and outside, where it is quite cold and filled it and held a match to the jets but just cant get it to light. Ive had a quick look around and it was mentioned to prime the stove with a tin at the base with some fuel in, light it and then theis should warm the fuel in the stove to light. Is this correct?

Does anyone else know any tips or tricks?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well I made my first penny stove although it was a bit rough and ready I just couldnt wait to try it, Ive been downstairs and outside, where it is quite cold and filled it and held a match to the jets but just cant get it to light. Ive had a quick look around and it was mentioned to prime the stove with a tin at the base with some fuel in, light it and then theis should warm the fuel in the stove to light. Is this correct?

Does anyone else know any tips or tricks?

Yeah, you need to prime it one way or another. I usually fill the stove, put the coin on, then fill the top of the stove and light that. The jets won't start up until the fuel inside is boiling.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Ah, yeah - mine is an ultra-miniature version made to fit inside the Crusader fuel well, and it only holds enough to boil half a litre. Don't see the point in making a stove bigger than it needs to be.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Ah, yeah - mine is an ultra-miniature version made to fit inside the Crusader fuel well, and it only holds enough to boil half a litre. Don't see the point in making a stove bigger than it needs to be.

What sort of cans did you use? I was think of doing something with a redbull can or one of those schweppes mixer cans.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I find a good way to get meths stoves to light in sub-zero temperatures is to put a piece of rolled-up tissue paper around the lip (on a Trangia) and soak in meths (for coke-can burners a bit of string wrapped around the body below the side-jets works just as well). This lights easily, and heats up the burner enough to get the "internal" meths to light.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I used Red Bull cans. Needed to flatten the bottom of the outer one to get a decent capacity with the low (~10mm) height. There's a thread on it here. Would work better in cold conditions with some insulation between the stove and the cooker though...

Apparently, "toast toppers" can work well for the bottom section, and I think the Allison's yeast tins would also work.

nenook

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 24, 2010
stafford
hey up , get a half can like tinned fruit comes in, drill 6mm holes around the bottom at three quaters inch up ,and quater inch apart.Then just under the lip drill 6.mm holes inch apart uses meths, light, wait 10 seconds or so put pan on and away it goes,just like a gas ring. or you can make one out of a full size pop can, cut the top out where the ring pull is, same holes but you need to give the meths a chance to get hot before placing a pot on it, the latter is of course one you can make anywhere as long as you have the meths , as people throw them away, try it at home, then test yourself to go out and find a can and make a brew, I find an army steel cup works wonders for the pot.

regards

nenook

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
stove13.jpg

this was an "internal wall" stove, I like these as they're from one can...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE