Pop can stove fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Petrol in a self pressurising pop-can stove will probably end in tears and at the very least soiled underwear. Even meths is not immune as I discovered re-igniting a classic coke-can penny stove after a hot refill.
However petrol has been used successfully for decades in the way more simple to construct tuna can style stoves or Benghazi burner, if you ever find a copy of the classic war movie "Ice Cold In Alex" there's a scene showing one in use.

Paraffin and waste oil be it engine or vegetable can be used in stoves that use wicks to vaporise the fuel and are just as easy to make as pop-can stoves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCLab9nnCp0

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Thanks Bishop, our posts crossed. In the war didn't they fill a tin with sand and petrol? Is that a Benghazi burner?

The link was interesting, thanks - doesn't lend itself to mobility tho'.

Thanks also Wingstoo - that's much more economical.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
If you have some friends who have use of such fuels, I recently bought 5 x 5L bottles for the Kent group (sorry, it doesn't ship easily so no major group buy), and it came in at 12 quid for 5L.

As to the original question, you can use most flammable liquids in a pop can stove... once... doesn't mean many of them are a good idea... :p A lot depends on how much you treasure your eyebrows...

Pyromaniacs of the forum, IGNITE!

J

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bio Ethanol is the same thing as Ethanol but because they add the 'Bio' tag they charge you more, rip off really. I use methanol which is less the a quid a litre.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Note: Methanol has a lower energy density than ethanol. Meaning it will produce less heat, and you'll need to carry more fuel to cook the same amount of food.

J

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Thanks Bishop, our posts crossed. In the war didn't they fill a tin with sand and petrol? Is that a Benghazi burner?
I dunno if that is called a benghazi burner, but I have tried this trick. You need dry sand for it to be safe and warm weather - it relies on the petrol evaporating, the vapours pass through the sand and burn evenly. Works well in something the proportion of a roasting tin, as long as you have plenty of petrol. *don't* try topping it up once lit.

Hi Rik,
Ethanol is not necessarily the same as bio ethanol. Bio ethanol has to be produced from a natural source , ie fermented. Ethanol can also be produced chemically which is cheaper to produce. One is more environmentally friendly than the other.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi Rik,
Ethanol is not necessarily the same as bio ethanol. Bio ethanol has to be produced from a natural source , ie fermented. Ethanol can also be produced chemically which is cheaper to produce. One is more environmentally friendly than the other.

Yea, and growing crops for 'bio fuel' in South America has led to less cattle being reared and the increase in the price of Corned Beef stuff the environmentally friendly fuel, stick it where the sun don't shine IMHO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE