Poncho advise please

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Hiya ladies and gents
Looking to treat myself to a poncho and wanted some advice/recommendations!
Firstly looking to use it occasionally and not bothered about the colour etc (would prefer not cammo as dont want to look too rambo :) ) but also want something that will last and also a drawstring hood is quite important....
Im about 5ft 7 and would say about 11 stone so not huge so dont want something that will drown me :)
any suggestions??

Saw a Crevit?? rain cape today in lidl which looked half descent for £9 but not sure if it was exactly what i want any experience of these?

thanks again everyone!!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
As far as i'm aware, most ponchos are about the same dimension. I would say at your height that you will be fine though. Ponchos by design tend to swamp people, even the biggest people! I'm not aware of the type you mention, but beware the cheap vinyl type as they will tear easily and not be of any use as a shelter. Best off getting a genuine ex military example from an army surplus or the net. The British Army 58 pattern poncho is bog standard, and although a bit heavier than the woodland cam US army style ones, comes in plain olive green and is bombproof. Youb want a reasonable condition one though, as the waterproof lining to the fabric can delaminate and abrade away on battered examples.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
go to testco mate, I got one in green for £4, it has draw sting hood and snap on buttons down the side, im about 5.8 and it fits great also comes in blue and has a draw string bag, its better than the lidl one ;)

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Thanks for the advice everyone! just had a quick browse in my local tescos but unfortunately they had none at all :( Going to have a look for a British army one if all else fails-any recommendations for sites that are good value inc postage etc?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Just one word of caution, the lightweight nylon/polyester types are a bit prone to snagging on brambles, thorns etc. if you're anywhere where there's a lot of undergrowth. Used ones often need reproofing, some of them are very old (decades).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE