polypore spore?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I took this pic when out on a stroll yesterday.

I believe it's Birch polypore - but is the 'dust' its spore?

s2020034ahe8.jpg

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Its not Birch Polypore. Is it many zoned polypore/turkey tail fungus, but it usually has a more banded appearance?
Birch Polypore is a lot thicker, looks and feels like polystyrene.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I don't thinks so. I'd ruled it out as the description in my book describes Many-zoned Polypore as 2-7 cm across, 2-5 cm broad and 1-5 mm thick. If it was inches rather than centimeters I'd say it would be more of a possibility.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The black dust looks like bug scat, the white dust looks like broken down fungi. Spore dust is very fine, custard powder like which is white for most polypores.

As to what it is, is another matter. My best guess is coriolus hirsutus, I am sure it is not birch polypore. there are quite a few very simerlar fungi and I am guessing.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks for all of your help.
I don't think it's Coriolus hirsutus as I'd have thought 'Blimey! A hairy mushroom?' when I found it. I really think it'd be a good idea if I carried my books when I go walk-abouts instead of relying on my camera.
I think I may have finally I.d'd the fungus. I think it's Hump-backed Polypore (Pseudotrametes gibbosa) - the size is correct as is the books description 'Old specimens become browner and are frequently green in the middle from encrusted algae' and although it doesn't show in the pics the fungus was 'lumpy and bumpy' - I'd thought they were caused by damage and didn't mention them.

Again, thanks for your help and thanks for disagreeing with me too :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE