polar pure

having purchased a bottle of polar pure from the group buy run very kindly by tony i have suddenly had a thought
does polar pure freeze? or does the iodine in the solution act like anti freeze?
anyone who could answer this i would really appreciate it please, else i am gonna have to leave the botle in the freezer and i am a lil wary of doin that....
Thanks in advance
Regards
Sam

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
did i ask a really stupid question? :) im good at that
regards
Sam

No, it's a very good question, I'm not sure of the answer either.

If there was any chance of it freezing I'd certainly make sure it wasn't full to the brim, as that would create a lot of pressure on the glass as the ice expanded.

Thinking about it purely from a water physics point of view, the water to ice size increase would be compensated somewhat by the contraction of the amount of air at the top as that cooled. Also carbon dioxide freezes to a solid not much below the freezing point of water ( at least at normal sea level pressures ) which might help contribute too.

I figure if your going to be taking it where it's regularly going to freeze and unfreeze keeping it half full should give enough use for potable water and give plenty of leaway for the water to ice size increase.

leemann

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2004
In the year 2022
No it will still freeze up asked my dad ( Retired professor chemistry) and he said no. I'd leave the bottle dry or have a small amount of water in the bottle so it does'nt freeze and burst the bottle.

Cheers
Lee

thanks very much for the answers both of you
in all honesty ive no real plans to take it anywhere particularly cold but it would of been murpheys law that if i had id of forgotten bout it and ended up with frozen solution or worse broken glass in my pack.
i think if its cold ill revert to millbank bag and boiling the filtered water-quicker for getting a brew that way i suspect
thanks for the advice
Regards
Sam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE