poison by plant treatment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickidan

May 14, 2011
Macclesfield
Hi everyone,

If you out on the trail all by yourself and miles from help and you are poisoned (by a fungi or plant or something) what should you do? what first aid should you do?

Any idea anyone?

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I would guess that being sure of a plant/fungi identification would be a start. And trying not to get in that suiuation. However I would have thought charcoal wouldn't be a bad thing.

Lou

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
keep a sample of the plant with a note in case you are unconcious by the time you can get to help...
I'd say there is a danger in trying to induce vomiting if you are losing conciousness, but it may help...
Dont drink salt water to make yourself sick.
Charcoal gets used in a suspension to help adsorb toxins in the gut, so crushing up some from the campfire and making a drink of it may help.
is there an argument for sitting down and avoiding activity to slow absorbtion?

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
well sitting down would keep the heart rate down thus slowing blood flow and moving any toxin in the blood around the body, however initially it would only be in the digestive system and I don't believe excersise would increase the ingestion rate, IMHO if you can get it out then do, but if it's to late you need a hospital asap and if that means running then I would be sprinting!! this is all assuming there is no phone to call rescue etc and nobody is coming for you already.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I suspect it depends on where you are....if it's the UK there aren't many things that will kill you quickly enough that you can't get to decent medical aid.

Take a bit of the plant with you, ID is crucial.

If it's an allergic reaction take antihistamine, quickly. That's all they'll give you at hospital for it anyway, and only if you don't respond will they administer the equivalent of an epi pen.

None of our plants will kill you instantly. Some will leave you greatly debilitated with nausea and diarrhoea, some will cramp you up to tears. The worst ones will slowly kill your liver.

If you have eaten something toxic, wash out your mouth and spit, wash and spit and dry off your lips carefully. Vomiting; usually that'll just add acid burning to the throat and mouth. Get to a hospital asap.
Particularly if it's a fungal poison, or hemlock water dropwort.

If the body can be supported through the effects of the poisoning then it can recover, but if the poison affects the muscles, such as the heart and breathing reflex, then without assistance you're unlikely to survive.

Straightforward first aid advice :-
http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/first-aid-advice/poisoning/poisonous-plants-and-fungi.aspx

Bear in mind that a great many plants are mildly not good for us, the little oxalis for instance, but we can eat 'some' with no ill effects. I can eat elderberries with no problems, but not everyone can. Keep it relevant.

If it's a child, don't hesitate, get medical help asap. Things like laburnum seeds can be incredibly dangerous for them.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. didn't mean to contadict JohnC :eek: Vomiting is generally a bad idea, but tbh if I've eaten something dodgy I do it. I just don't advise it iimmc.

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
p.s. didn't mean to contadict JohnC :eek: Vomiting is generally a bad idea, but tbh if I've eaten something dodgy I do it. I just don't advise it iimmc.

That's ok... in the poisons unit, we used to occasionally get folk who had aspirated vomit as they has tried (or more usually, be made by companions) to vomit when their airway was either numbed by the toxin, or they had a depressed level of conciousness (usually by alcohol).
Very occasionally someone had been given salt water to make them vomit, but they were poisoned by the salt, and ironically the substance that they had taken was less harmful than the salt drink.

I agree with you though, if its coming up, thats good as its the body's mechanism to remove a toxin..

I'd like to learn more about plant ID so I (hopefully ) wouldnt make the mistake in the first place, but knowing what to do if it happens is a good idea. Hoping there will be more info/experiences posted.....

I recall Gordon Hillman describing writing the name of a mushroom on himself, prior to passing out when realising he was poisoned on "Wild Food", I dont know if I'd have the cool to think that clearly!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE