Pocket Rocket woes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm a pocket rocket fan, had one which was used regularly for about 14 yrs. It stopped working, and despite taking it apart, cleaning and renewing the washer, it just don't want to play. Someone from another forum, kindly sent me another, which has just developed the same problem. No gas coming through at all. Not a sausage!
Is it time to get a new one..or is there something I'm missing to get it going again.?
I've tried 4 different canisters and brands, so I know it's not the canisters, as they work fine with my much larger and heavier unfavorite stove.
I've looked at all the yt vids I can find to try and trouble shoot. Nothing happening.
I realy hate to junk things if there is a workable fix.
Ps, they are both the origional version with no ignition button.
Thanks.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Bin it and get a new one. It's had a good life. Stop tinkering and put your hand in your pocket!
Not averse to buying another, I do feel a trip to a camping shop coming on, but then I get kit monkey syndrome, and come home with more than I intend!
I do like to squeeze the last drop out of things if possible. I feel bad putting my faithful old friends in the bin if I don't have to.
I enjoy making, mending, repurposing, and recycling things if I can.
Just thought I'd probe the hive mind in case I'm missing something.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Question, do you allow the gas to run out completely before changing canisters? If so this may be your issue. As the pressure slowly reduces (rather than being shut off) it can coke up the jet. MSR have great customer service and they would be able to give you all the helpful advice that you might need.
You might also try tucking the gas canister inside your clothing to gently warm it which may help bump up the pressure at the jet once it’s reconnected.

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Two of the canisters I used were brand new. The other is half full, but you may be right that it could be the jet. I have tried pricking it with a pricker, so I will take it up the garage and try a high air pressure hose, see if that will help.
If that doesn't work, it's a full horse and carriage funeral for the p r, and I will have to admit defeat, and get a new one.
Might go for the Vango version, cheap and cheerful, does the job, and actualy weighs only a few grams more.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
It's worrying that the same thing has happened to another of your Pocket Rockets. I applaud you for trying to fix it (repair and reuse any day over just buying new - how very unsustainable!).

I'm currently in the market for a stove, and I'm not seeing great things about the reliability and longevity of MSR Pocket Rockets (both the 2 and Deluxe).

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Send it back to MSR and see if they can repair it.
I have a couple of MSR stoves which have been used an abused for years and still going strong. As far as reliability goes, I think MSR are as reliable as any of the other good stoves out there.

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
Send it back to MSR and see if they can repair it.
I have a couple of MSR stoves which have been used an abused for years and still going strong. As far as reliability goes, I think MSR are as reliable as any of the other good stoves out there.
Yes, I suppose with their success in the market comes the fact that more people will have one that fails than those manufacturers who have sold far fewer, and they're the ones you read posts about rather than all those people who have one still going strong.

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
Yes for sure, complaints are usually amplified when you are searching for reliability issues and complimentary info is usually reduced.
My experience with MSR stoves has always been positive, my old liquid fueled whisper lite never failed and was still going strong up until I gave it away. My pocket rocket has to be 25 years old and still works perfectly and my new (10 years) whisper lite still works like new.
If I was in the market for a new stove MSR would certainly be in my top tier of manufacturers.

Reactions: hughtrimble

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
A probably stupid thought. I know nothing at all about gas stoves and haven’t used one for fifty years but:

You are suffering this problem with two different stoves.
Are you using the right gas for the stove?

Edit:
Are there variations in production recently?

Last edited:

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
Two of the canisters I used were brand new. The other is half full, but you may be right that it could be the jet. I have tried pricking it with a pricker, so I will take it up the garage and try a high air pressure hose, see if that will help.
If that doesn't work, it's a full horse and carriage funeral for the p r, and I will have to admit defeat, and get a new one.
Might go for the Vango version, cheap and cheerful, does the job, and actualy weighs only a few grams more.
Sounds like a blocked jet or a blockage in the fuel 'line'.I would take the burner assembly off,remove the jet and clean with a 'pricker' and check the jet housing for any debris.
When you remove the jet you could see if any gas (use an almost empty cartridge to minimise wastage ) comes through, then you would know its the jet.

Reactions: Ystranc

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I agree, strip it down and clean it with alcohol. They’re very simple. You have nothing to lose, worst case scenario; you break something that isn’t working properly anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE