Pocket cookers

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
The pocket cookers are in at trekdirect , ordered mine today .
pocket cooker

5th item down .

I have no connections to Trekdirect , but know a few of you guys were after these cookers .

Pumbaa

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I phoned my order through , the guy on the phone said they were still in the crate and he hadnt had time to update the website .

Pumbaa

Reactions: British Red

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Stability is not the issue, maintaining a fire in such a small, poorly ventilated chamber is the problem. Even using something such as kiln dried pine as fuel, you would sonn be fed up with giving it constant attention. Its also pretty heavy too.

A couple of years ago up the loch, me and my mate did a side by side test of the pocket cooker and a fire spout, and the fire spout totally minced it.

Im sure I have posted my thoughts on them before, and others have agreed. I personally would muhc rather use a hobo stove made from a dog food or coffee can, but of course, your mileage may vary. :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Mojo :) I did wonder. I don't usually bother with a stove when out, but I can see that in many places, especially south of the border, that they may be very necessary.
For a brew up, if it's only for one or two the little Swiss stove is ideal, the kelly kettle is excellent for more folk or if you're doing a quick stir fry, heating up soup or beans or toasting something. Otherwise, if I'm going to the bother of lugging a stove I take the CAT one; no fuss, fast, hot, responsive, won't blow out and clean pots :D

Cheers,
Toddy

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Dommyracer and I tried out a mini hobo stove today. A baked bean tin with holes made at the top on one side and at the bottom on the other. It was not very successful. It improved the more holes we made, but still could not really heat some water much. Any suggestions how it might have been improved?

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Just ordered one myself, we'll see how it goes asap, they seem to get mixed reviews, really like the size of the thing, made a Hobo stove the other day from a biscuit tin with the help of a angle grinder, worked fine but a little large for one person, and as has been said above the mini hobo's from tin can's are a pain, just don't seem to heat up enough to boil within the hour (well maybe).
And if you do get them good and hot they start warping. just wish there were more places you can have a open fire and sod all this. :togo:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE