Pocket Book?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thebrown83

Jan 3, 2012
Manchester, England
Just a quick question:

Can anyone recommend a pocket book that can be on me and will be of most use when out in the field? I don't mean a survival book but rather a book that covers more the nature side of things; tree/plant/wild fungi identification, animal tracks etc etc..

Cheers

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
As mentioned, your probably best off with a book for each subject, however Collins Gem series also includes a version of Richard Mabey's "food for free" book which covers a few of the subjects all in one book.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Have a look at the Field Studies Council's website. They have laminated folding sheets on various nature subjects which fit in craghopper pockets. Beauty of these is you can mix and match depending where you are heading.
Alan

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I second the Collins gem series, got Food for free and SAS survival guide (somewhere, my little girl took a shine to it, bless her shes only two. Will test her on it soon!). Sure I've seen other Collins Gem books too, trees maybe...

Also some of the old Observer books are good, pick them up for pence at car boot sales and charity shops...

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Collins "Complete guide to British Wildlife" N Arlott, R Fitter, A Fitter 1981 isbn 0 00 219212 8
I Found this invauable when I was teaching and for a time it fooled my grandson into thinking I was an expert until he learned how to search the internet. A quick identifier to mammals, birds, fish, insects, trees plants, farm animals etc. About the size of an OS map but much thicker. It fits in a map pocket. Has an excellent "Further reading" section. I find this a useful addition to the excellent books mentioned above. If I could have only one, this is the one I'd take.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
oldtimer Collins "Complete guide to British Wildlife" N Arlott, R Fitter, A Fitter 1981 isbn 0 00 219212 8

Good hunting for that one..although Amazon are selling a new copy at £149+..:D

thebrown83

Jan 3, 2012
Manchester, England
I got the Collins Gem 'SAS Survival Guide' off ebay and it's exactly what I wanted from a handy pocket book to have on me when I'm out..

Could do with getting the other Collins Gem books like 'Trees' and 'Food for Free' next..

Cheers lads

Danny

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
oldtimer Collins "Complete guide to British Wildlife" N Arlott, R Fitter, A Fitter 1981 isbn 0 00 219212 8

Good hunting for that one..although Amazon are selling a new copy at £149+..:D
Blimey! It's probably the last of my books I'd have thought of as valuable in terms of price. Mine is the paperback version, probabaly not as valuable. Off up the Amazon now!

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
Collins "Complete guide to British Wildlife" N Arlott, R Fitter, A Fitter 1981 isbn 0 00 219212 8

I recommend that book too, got mine from charity shop for £1.99

also recommed Kingfisher Concise field guide edited by Michael Chinery ISBN 0-86272-835-5,

found it in a charity shop for £2, same size as collins but twice as thick so lots more info.

Goat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE